_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Squadron/Signal Books
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 12:08 PM UTC
My next project is a 1/32 SBD Dauntless that I plan on trying some superdetailing out on. During my gathering of reference materials I came across two books at the squadron site:
1) Dauntless In Action ($9) ($4 on ebay)
2) Dauntless In Detail and Scale ($13) ($5 on ebay)

While I am familiar with the 'In Action' series of books I am unfamiliar with the 'Detail and Scale' books. Do any of you have an input on either book-particularly the usefulness or content of the 'Detail and Scale' books in general? Thanks.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
Hi Bryan,

Have you tried checking out the reviews for these books at Amazon.com? Sometimes you may be able to take a look into the books also there, which might give you a better idea as to buy the book or not..

Rgds, BP.
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 03:09 PM UTC
Bryan

If the Dauntless in Detail & Scale is anything like the copy I have on the B-25 Mitchell, then its worth having. Loads of photos, general views & detail close-ups (some in colour), colour marking profiles and plans.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 06:32 PM UTC
The S/S books tend to show complete line of variants (P-51 to P-51K), markings and "in action" shots whereas the "in detail" books will have more close ups of the various details of a particular vehicle (P-51D) that a model likes to add to his kit. Although the S/S books do have a few detail shots, not to the same degree as the Detail & Scale. BTW S/S does put out a nice set of walk around books which do the same thing. I've got both of their armor ones, StuG III and Sherman.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:52 PM UTC
Ok, thanks for the input guys. Good idea about Amazon BP-I'll have to check their site out.
m60a3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:00 PM UTC
One other bonus of the D & S books is the kit review sections. Depending on the print date of the book, all available kits in all scales are reviewed.
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW S/S does put out a nice set of walk around books which do the same thing. I've got both of their armor ones, StuG III and Sherman.

I got the TBF/TBM Avenger Walk Around for the Avenger I'm building for Penny's group build. It's definitely worth the extra dollars. Lots of colour pictures of the interior and instrument panel. Very useful.

Nic
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

got the TBF/TBM Avenger Walk Around for the Avenger I'm building for Penny's group build. It's definitely worth the extra dollars. Lots of colour pictures of the interior and instrument panel. Very useful.

I did the exact same thing. I agree with everything above on the book. I have some of the walk around books and some of the in action books. I would recomend the walk around books over the in action unless your looking for something thats covered in one and not the other (see Sabots post above). I also have the F-15 walk around and its great also, both the walkarounds have great closeup detail shots.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 07:59 PM UTC
I actually found the Dauntless Detail in Scale book on ebay and picked it up. I'm hoping it arrives soon so I can start my research and planning before I start the 1/32 monster.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
There is an old Eduard PE set for this, but you may have too look under its true moniker, the Matchbox Dauntless. I saw one on a clearance table in a RoG box and it was the old Matchbox kit. I remember building mine as the A-20(?) US Army dive bomber.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
This is the old matchbox kit reboxed in a Revell-Germany box. Eduard still makes both a cockpit and external photoetch set.
 _GOTOTOP