_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
PHOTOS: WALKAROUND
  Northrop N9M Flying Wing
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 04:32 AM UTC
Chuck Shanley (CRS) has sent us a superb set of photos of the amazing fully-restored Northrop N9M Flying Wing.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 01:07 AM UTC
WOW!! I get it now! CRS=Chuck Reigns Supreme! This is fodder for a Project X build for sure. That monochrome Yellow paint job would surely set it off from anything else on the shelf.
Thanks for sharing these Chuck. This has been one of my favorite 'Wingie-Thingies' for years. I just wonder how far ahead we'd be in the 'Stealth' arena if BWB designs had been given the credit due them. Nice to see Jack Northrop's Ideas vindicated in the B-2.
How'd you get the in-maintenance shots? Is the Maint. hangar out there open to the public, or did you have to flash your A-Guard credentials? (Hey, it works for me!)
Cheers,
RobH
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 01:30 AM UTC
Robert - The maintenance shots were just a lucky moment. The hanger is open to the public ($8.95 museum admission), and I hang out around Planes of Fame a lot, as a supporter/volunteer.

The maintenance pics were taken the day before the AirShow, the N9M had blown a cylinder and I just happened to be there when they were repairing it.

Having your camera ready and just asking, can go a long way sometimes. The close up shows were taken the next day at the Show. I saw the "owner" (I'd met him when I took the repair pics) and ask if I could crawl under the plane and take a few pics. He gave me the same response I've gotten from all the folks at Planes of Fame, "Take as many as you like".

A great bunch of guys at Chino, just like the ones here at Armorama. Check out the list of other planes there.
http://planesoffame.org/museum-aircraft.php
WingyThing Heaven.

P.S. Yes I take requests, I just don't quote a time frame.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hi Chuck

As you know, I've got Sword's 1/48 scale model of this beauty ready to build one day.

So...taking up your kind offer , if you ever get the opportunity... get some shots of the cockpit. Sword supply some period B&W pics, but modern colour shots would be awesome!

All the best

Rowan
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

get some shots of the cockpit

Rowan,
Knew this was coming and probably from you. I even had answers prepared.

The short answer: No.

The long answer: I will do what I can, but I'll have to catch the fellows working on her again sometime. When she's not flying the cockpit is usually covered by that blue tarp, you see in the photos. Of course to get pics of the cockpit would require climbing on the aircraft and I don't do that. If I can I'll get them, but don't hold me to it.
 _GOTOTOP