_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
P-40 Tiger Shark
Wehrmacht
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hello,

I am fixing to be building a P-40 Tiger Shark and was wondering what the weapons it was fitted with?

Thanks
Justin
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
Greets,

Are you building the Monogram kit? IIRC they are about the only ones who called it Tiger Shark.

I just read another AVG book--actually post-AVG--"Sharks Over China", about the 23rd FG. Great book.

According to it, including 23rd documents, they apparently only refered to the P-40 as "Sharks", unless via the aircraft names: Tomahawk, Kittyhawk (I think that was mainly RAF) and Warhawk.

Oops, back on subject! The P-40B and C had a pair of .50 cal. in the nose and four .30 cal., or Britsh .303, in the wings.

The P-40D had four .50s in the wings, up-gunned to six in the E model.

The K had six .50s.

The N, intended (again) to be a light weighter, started out with four, but returned to six.

I don't recall the P-40F, L or Ms being in the CBI. Maybe a few Fs trickled into India. The F had both four and six gun batteries of .50s. The L and M, I think all of them were six-shooters.
Wehrmacht
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:21 PM UTC
Yep it's the Monogram kit. Any tips?

Thanks again for the info.

Justin
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Justin,

I've built over a dozen Monogram P-40s over the decades. The wings will warp over time if they aren't reinforced. This is due to the lack of plastic around the wheel wells, I suppose.

The spinner/prop assembly doesn't line up well. Dry-fit and sand/carve to your fit taste.

The front cowl/fuselage fit is bad, too.

The .50s fit needs a bit of filling.

No wheel well interior.

Raise rivets.

The rear windows don't fill their cutouts.

I built mine with Eduard's P/E set. Basic. A seat, a map case, instrument panel, some other odds and ends.

Yikes, just noticed a .303 is missing from a wing!!!!!! OK, AVG...long supply line...lack of spares...broken gun...the model railroader rivet-counters' cry, "It ain't prototypic", don't apply here!

You inspired me to photograph it and I will try to have pictures on in a moment. (Hours later): lookee here:
https://photos.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php?photo=46398&password=&sort=8&cat=500&page=4]Shark Bite,

BTW, I used the kit decals from the early 90s. They were awful. I had to use a sheet from the 70s! They worked great.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2004 - 10:20 PM UTC
I just noticed that I scribed some panel lines. Didn't recall that.

BTW, a little goodie:

Note that on many photos you will see a circle set off-center from the National Chinese roundels. These were RAF cockades that were painted over.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 03:42 AM UTC
Fred is right on with all his comments regarding the Mongram P-40 kit. I'm building one now and it has got to be one of the worst kits I've ever built. Particualrly pay attention to the gaps/fit around the cowl area (including the machine gun blisters)-it's a nightmare. My kit had huge, huge gaps at the wing roots. I've spent the last couple of modelling sessions just fixing those gaps by adding a couple of layers of plasticard and then trimming to the correct shape to fill the gap enough so that I could reasonably add filler to make a good joint.
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
#:-) You could always build the P40 from the film "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". :-) It's probably the rarest variation being submersible!!

_GOTOTOP