_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
OH-58D Kiowa
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 01:31 PM UTC
This is Academy's 1/35 scale OH-58D. It's painted with MM helo drab and gloss coated. Added wires in both compartments. Still up in the air with the one on the bottom right. Cockpit area was painted w/ dark grey and the seats with off-white and dry brushed w/ a earth tone fro that worn look. The helo drab looks lite in this pic, but it is darker. One thing though, did the pilots fly with thier door off? I will post when finnished.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
Yes, the OH-58D is flown with doors off (usually only the front doors, but I left all 4 off my model so you can see the equipment in the rear), unless it is winter, then doors on. The compartment on the left rear of the fuselage is a storage area for crew gear and the like. Throw a few bags in there if you want. The cockpit should be aircraft black, a slightly gray black. Seats should be black or dark green. Lastly, the engine compartment, interior of engine access doors and storage compartment interior should be painted zinc chromate yellow, a slightly greenish-yellow.
Overall it looks like it is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.
targetdriver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 03:04 AM UTC
Gino's right!

The Kiowa is usually flown with the doors off. This is kind a done for a couple of reasons.

One is Weight! Helos can carry only so much! The lighter the bird, the more performance you are going to have. And for those of us that are pilots, we want all the perfomance we can get. Not that the doors are that heavy anyway......

Another, is the "Cool" factor. It can get quite hot sitting under all of that plexiglass...plus it looks good too.

Adding a small map / charts to the top of the dash helps to add some realism as well. That's usually where my head set and sectional chart ends up. And, if the pilots are in a Cavarly Unit, than a black Stetson Hat for each is an abosulte must!
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 04:25 AM UTC
I'm wondering, how heavy are those doors anyway? Not only that, but how much protection do they offer? I would think that the protection offered by the door - no matter how big - is much better than a flight suit! I definitely wouldn't want a stray round coming through what could've been protected.

Anyway, mother it looks great! The interior is fabulous. One note though, I thought the access panel interiors (ie engine area, etc) was a drab yellow. All the pictures (and accurate models) have yellow interiors where access panels are concerned. Something to think about. Also, was the engine included and if so, how much of it was detailed? Can't wait to see the final product.

Jeff
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
Gino about the pilot seats. Are they all black or dark green. I had read an article over at Hyper scale about this helicopter which the seats were off-white. If so i'm glad you pointed this out before i had button this up. I did start to paint the inner doors using MM zinc chromate yellow, look above the co-pilot seat. It does look a little bright, again it's the lighting
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:26 PM UTC
Joe,
I have seen the seats in both black and dark green. I have never seen them off-white, not to say they were never that way, I have not seen them though. As for the interior of the cabin doors, they would be black too. Only the engine access and rear cargo area doors would be zinc chromate yellow, along with the engine and cargo compartments.

To the others. The doors are made out of aluminum and are about as thick as a coke can. They don't really provide any protection, just keep the weather out.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 08:33 PM UTC
Howdy mother,

Just checked out your Kiowa, nice looking bird. Almost as good lookin' as that new Campaign medal yer sportin'

Gotta agree with Gino on the colours. I've opened more than one access panel in my life and just about every one of them were indeed painted that awful baby-poop yellow colour. All in slightly different shades mind you, so don't be too overly concerned with getting that precisely right.
As to the seats, hmmmmm, never even heard of white seats. Maybe that fellow over at Hyperscale was building a 'pimp' helo?

And targetdriver's comment about the doors is only too true. Last ship I flew before putting down my Log Book was the Bell 47 (OH-13 I think was the military designator). You know, like the one in the TV show M.A.S.H. And it had a total bubble canopy. Mannnn, did that get HOT in the summertime!! Flew with the doors off most of the time, except when we were spraying for Gypsy Moths, then we had to button up.......intolerable.

Keep up the good work.

Tread.
kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 12:15 AM UTC
Doors are not bullet-proof. Also (and mostly) they are left off for easier and faster egress in case of an emergency....
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
I know they are not bulletproof (most things aren't bullet proof but bullet resistant), but I thought there were armored inserts available (available meaning "with the option" and not necessarily "in stock" as many veterans have found out). Or are these inserts attached to the seats?

Jeff
58DIP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
I AM A 58D INSTRUCTOR PILOT AT FT RUCKER. I HAVE TONS OF PICS. IF NEEDED JUST LET ME KNOW. ALSO, THE BACK COMPARTMENT ON THE LEFT REAR IS NOT A STORAGE COMPARTMENT, ITS THE AFT ELECTRICAL COMPARTMENT. IT CONTAINS THE ELECTRONICS SUCH AS THE TRU AND THE INVERTER AS WELL AS THE FADEC ECU. IT ALSO CAN HAVE A SPARE BATTERY INSTALLED THERE.
58DIP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:50 AM UTC
THE 58D DEF FLIES WITH THE CREW DOORS OFF BUT THE AVIONICS DOORS ARE ALWAYS INSTALLED(HAS TO BE BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE AIRFRAME DAMAGE IF REMOVED DURING FLIGHT).
58DIP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
THE DOORS ARE VERY LIGHT BEING MADE OF THIN ALUMINUM. THEY PROVIDE NO BALLISTIC PROTECTION BUT WE DO HAVE SIDE ARMOR PANELS THAT WHEN COMBINED WITH OUR BODY ARMOR CAN STOP UP TO 20MM, BUT I DONT WANT TO TRY IT. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT IT WILL STOP RPG-7 SHRAPNEL AND 7.62 AK-47 ROUNDS
58DIP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
THERE ARE TWO TYPE OF SEAT COVERS IN THE 58D. THE 58D(I) HAS MESH SEAT THAT ARE A FADED BLACK IN COLOR. THE 58D(R) HAD FABRIC SEAT COVERS THAT ARE A TRUE BLACK. AS A NOTE, THE SEATS IN THE 58D(R) ARE JEL FILLED. VERY NICE AFTER FLYING 8 HOURS IN THEM.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 04:10 AM UTC
58DIP,
Great info, thanks. Couple pointers for the forums though. Don't type in all caps, this is seen/represents yelling on forums. Also, you don't need to put up a new post to each question, put all your replies in one and it flows better.

Again, thanks for the great info. Maybe I will put those rear doors back on my OH-58D now, but it covers up all that great detail in the back. Might just use some artistic license and leave them off.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC
Welcome
I see you're new here, just a point of etiquette...posting in all caps is considered shouting and should be avoided. That being said, thanks for the first person info on the Kiowa.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:46 PM UTC
Howdy 58DInstructorPilot,

Many thx for your first hand experience with the ship you spend so much time on/in... It is very helpful indeed.

You mentioned "...have tons of pics. If needed just let me know...." I for one would be very interested in those pics. And I don't doubt for an instant that our good Gino would appreciate them as well since he is an avid helo modeler himself. If you don't mind, do you have these pics parked somewhere?....or would you mind Emailing them, or?
Please just let me know......your offer is greatly appreciated.

Tread.
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 03:56 PM UTC
Wow 58DIP. That was great first hand knowledge. Welcome to the Big A
58DIP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 01:16 PM UTC
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and points of etiquette. A great website to visit is www.kiowapilots.com. It is a website that 58d pilots post pics and useful information on the Warrior and the Cav mission. There are some great pics on the Warrior, esp the preflight pics.

Again thanks to all for such a warm welcome and I cant wait to share and receive info to better my models and skills.

Scouts Out!
 _GOTOTOP