_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Whats a good brand for 1/72 scale aircraft
TimberWolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 09:38 AM UTC
I dont know much about 1/72 scale (or 1/48 :-) ). So I'll need some help on choseing a good brand.
TimberWolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 09:40 AM UTC
here are the brands for "Military Hobbies USA"

Amodel
Azur
Eastern Express
Fine Molds
Hasegawa
Huma Model
ICM
Italeri
MPM
Revell Germany
Roden
Special Hobby
Supermodel
Sword
Trumpeter
Zvezda
Iron-Fist
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hasegawa, Academy, Tamiya, Revell of Germany, are all awesome. can't go wrong with any of those brands. Revell is the cheapest, but they can sometimes have a few problems, Hasegawa is expensive, but almost always worth it, sometimes you get an old kit with raised panel lines. Tamiy is the most expensive, but always worth the price, they are the best quality you can possably get in 1/72, and Academy, all their kits are made quite well, recessed panel lines, good fit ect.
lambertjr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC
Italeri and Hasegawa are my preferred 1/72 scale sources. Hobbycraft,Academy,Fujimi and Tamiya are also good lines.
It's all in what you are looking for.
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 04:14 PM UTC
hi timberwolf
i have only been serously collecting models for the last year or so and iam from New Zealand i tend to buy airfix 1/72 aircraft and they tend to be really good but iam not to sure if you guys have airfix over in the states.
well thats my 2 cents worth

Andrew
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
Timberwolf,

Great kits in 1/72 come from Hasegawa, Tamiya, Minicraft, Academy, and Airfix. 1/48 you cannot beat Accurate Miniatures for detail and fit. Yamiya is the Big Dog, with Hasegawa and Academy close behind. Revell/Monogram are always a good build, but not as detailed as the others. For WWI aircraft, I'd go with Blue Max. Classic Airframes makes great resin aircraft if you can handle this medium, for 1/48 scale. 1/72 second scale is wide open. I feel it is like armor, depends on the aircraft. One manufacturer may make a great P-47 kit, but their P-40 may be a dog. What are you looking for? The last Squadron Open House i went to I was overwhelmed by the number of different kit manufacturers. Order their catalog and start drooling, I mean shopping. HTH :-)
Iron-Fist
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
I just ordered 2 Hasegawa 1/72s from Squadron's website, they have great prices and a huge selection. For the EE Lightning and F9F-2 Panther, only $7.95, and shipping is only $5.00! I highly reccomend this site.
 _GOTOTOP