_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
spraycan help
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:14 AM UTC
hi guys,

since i have no airbrush i've started spraying my aircraft with tamiya and gunze spraycans....it seams to work better than pensil on airplanes.

Does anyone have some tips on spraycan painting.?

cheerz Q.
(if anyone does this kind of painting )
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC
Spray cans emit a pretty heavy stream of paint, my "advise" would be to attempt to "mist" on light coats so as to preserve detail. Spray from at least 6 to 10 inches from the model. I use spray cans for overall coverage then and airbrush for camo and detailing.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hello LordQ, this one comes to mind, warm up the paint by running the can under some warm water. Hold the under the water then shake it for a few seconds, the can will be come cold again, just repeat until the can becomes warm. DON'T GET THE CAN HOT. This will help the paint flow better. Spray on one light coat and let it set 15 - 20 min. This will help the next coat of paint to grab on to the model. Then just repeat until your satisfied with your paint job.
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:40 PM UTC
spray can produce lots of organic vapor. Just make sure you done your painting outside or used an approved spray booth.

and after avery spray, turn the can and press the nozzle against the floor to remove excess paint on the nozzle.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hi Quinten,
I too use spray cans often. I have the basic Humbrol airbrush here. I use this for mixed colours, but when a standard shade is required I use the can.

Don't do lots of small quick squirts with the can as this will cause an uneven blobby effect and can cause runs if the blobs are too concentrated.
Also try not to rush in a little flurry of movement at the end of the stroke.
Spray steady to an invisible mark say an inch or two off the area being painted....press and release the paint button before the model and after the pass has gone past the model.
Always build up the colour in a few light coats.
And as Chuck mentioned, keep the can a good distance away from the model. Too close will result in heavy thick and runny coats.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Peter

PS If you still want the Bv 222 article, pm me your post address.
:-)
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:50 AM UTC
hmmas i know of, those tam spray cans are 20$ around my place! with 70 bucks you can buy an aztek AB with a set of paitn at walmart, and with 150 bucks, u can buy a badger 150! and spray paitn for over 30 years! ( some peopel here had hterte 150 for that long!) so its a defenetly good investment

Frank
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC
Tamiya Spray cans $20????? You sure thats not for their big can of primer??? Tamiya Spray can paint here is only about $6-$7, but I have never tried it....will stick with the airbrush......only thing I may use a spray can on is my model rockets depending on what look I am going for.
KellyZak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Seven Bucks for a can of Tamiya spraypaint in New Brunswick?! Man, I'm moving there! I pay up to 13 dollars here in Victoria for a can!
Can't add much more here, all I do is run some hot water from the tap into an old coffee can, and put the can in for a minute, then shake it, then let it sit for another minute or so. Haven't had a can explode yet. Definately helps the paint flow better.
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 04:21 AM UTC
here it is 5 euro for a can..and a can lasts long.

another question..what do you guys use for masking camouflage patterns.

Can you do advanced pattern's like the typical fW-190 pattern?

cheers Q.
 _GOTOTOP