_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
tips on weathering/painting exhausts
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 10:41 PM UTC
Does anybody have some tips on painting and weathering of an exhaust of a spitfire ?
I tried matt balck but i removed it again ,it wa too "artificial"

cheerz Q.
Art
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 02:43 AM UTC
Try burning sprue (makes nice black, sooty smoke) and hold the part(s) over it, then just brush off the excess till you get the effect you want.

Art
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC
Exausts will rust over time but, IMHO, if you simply paint the exaust pipes on a model rust they look unreal. I suggest painting them a burnt metal colour first ( I use Xtracolor Burnt Iron, but any dark metallic colour will probably do) Then I dry brush on a rust colour followed by just a tiny amount of lighter rust. The rust would tend to be heavier at the engine side and the turn of the pipe. I will sometimes dry brush steel on the very mouth of the pipe, after painting the interior black. During finishing I will airbrush in the exaust staining.

Also take a look at the Exausts on my Hs 129, on the aircraft home page, I was particularly pleased with the way they turned out.
HTH
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Quinten

Another thing to look out for; if you check out photos of the real thing, you often see the front exhaust, on any inline engine, is a different colour to the ones behind... presumably because the rear exhausts are subject to the hot gases from those in front.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP