_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Which name brand is best
Slug
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hey Pilots:
I'm thinking about coming over to the airforce and built a couple
of planes, my interests are for WWI & WWII at 1/48 scale.
My question is which manufacturers would you recomend, If you could give me the top 3 based on detail / fit&finish / cost that would be great!

Airfix Tamiya Revell Revell(Germany) Trimaster ICM Hasegawa Academy Italeri DML Fujimi Heller Other?

Slug
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:19 PM UTC
Bruce,

i cannot rank all of them since i haven't build all of them...but to answer your question, IMHO the best 3 (unordered) would be Tamiya, Hasegawa and Revell
moJimbo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:34 PM UTC
based on some of my experience:
1. the best in quality & fit is tamiya and hasegawa but they're very, very pricey.
2. dml is quite good, slightly cheaper than T&H but dml stopped making arcraft kits (?) so they're very hard to find.
3. italeri has a large range of a/c kits and they're reasonably cheap, but quality is average
4. fujimi kits are ok but they always seem to have some fit problems
5. the latest revell/revellmnogram kits are quite good but the older ones are terrible. be careful on this one.
6. airfix kits are simply bad... avoid if possible.
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:52 PM UTC
ok..revell (monogram and germany),tamiya,hasagawa
are very good quality kits,revell the cheapest the other twi very expensive.

I wouldn't recommend any fujimi kit,they have fitting problems,there not nice in cockpit and interior detail.
and no,no,NO airfix !

cheerz Q.
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 12:01 AM UTC
It really depends on what you want to do.

I'm not a fan of Hasegawa, but sometimes you need a kit that they are alone making.

I've built such weird brands that I don't complain!

Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
The buzz about Tamiya is that their WWII kits have great fit. The line I usually hear is "throw some glue in the box, shake it, and out comes your finished model." I can't say that they're that easy, but their fit is quite nice most of the time and detail is very good. So far, I've built their F4U-1A Corsair and a P-51 Mustang. Both were good builds with some minor challenges.

I also like Revell's stuff, but I'd suggest you research a bit before jumping in. For the most part, their WWII stuff is classic. Some fit problems, some flash clean-up, but a nice product in the end. I've recently built their P-61 Black Widow and B-25J Mitchell and have enjoyed every minute of them. I guess for me, they bring me back to when I started building models as a kid, only now I can make a much better attempt at turning them into something special.

Another manufacturer to consider for the era you're considering is Accurate Miniatures. They make some nice kits. Somewhat challenging from what I've heard, but well put together and detailed. I've got one of their kits in my stash and it looks like it'll be a nice build.

As for Hasegawa, a lot of their WWII is highly recommended. I haven't built anything of theirs yet, but plan to in the near future. Italeri makes good stuff, but I wouldn't doubt a fair amount of it is reboxed kits from other makers.

I'm not a bit Dragon/DML fan. I think they make their kits a little overcomplicated. Maybe my attitude will change as my skills grow. I do like Academy stuff, but my experiences have only been with their modern kits.

Hope that helps!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 05:02 AM UTC
I belive the best "bang for your buck" would be the revell/monogram and revell of germany kits. Tamiya is nice but pricey.
Slug
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 06:20 AM UTC
Great Guys, thanks for the imput, it'll help alot on my next purchase

Cheers
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
Yes Revell AG has probably the most bang for the buck, they have very nice 1/72 kits!

Verboten
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 202 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
i agree with Silantra, Hasegawa and Tamiya are definetly the top two in my opinion, Italeri is good also, I have a ME-262 of Italeri that was a good kit
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
The 1/48 Italeri Me 262 is a re-box of the Dragon/Trimaster kit.

Very good if not a bit fiddly to build, but so much cheaper than the Tamiya Schwälbe!
 _GOTOTOP