_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Other historic a/c in 1/72??
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 08:22 PM UTC
Hello,
I'm putting together my classroom for the new school year and hanging the collection of 1/72 and some 1/144 historic and record breaking aircraft down the center of the room timeline style. (as you can see from the list, I've got MADD pretty bad!)

I've already got (1/72 unless otherwise noted)

Wright Flier (box scale)
Bleriot XI (in progress)
Spad
Fokker Triplane
Douglas World Cruiser (in progress)
Spirit of ST L
Ford Trimotor
DC3 (1/144)
Me262
V1 (in progress)
V2 (in progress)
Super Constellation (1/144)
X-1
X-3
X-15
R-7 rocket that launched Sputnik(1/144 in-progress)
U-2D (in progress)
Sr71
Apollo-Soyuz link up (1/144)
Saturn V (1/144 in porgress)
Lunar Lander ( in progress)
Shuttle Columbia
F117 w Flag decal
X-29
Mir (1/144, under repairs)
Rutan Voyager (in progress)
YF 23
YF 35
Su-37 Berkut

Other than finishing up what I've got in progress, and snagging a Revell Germany ISS ( since I cant afford the Intermountain Railway one..)maybe a Lockeed Electra and a Breitling Orbiter from Heller.. I think I'm running out of historically significant/ record breaking a/c in either 1/72 or 1/144 for larger craft.

Anyone have any generally available affordable (read as less than the $60 for the ISS) kits?

As you can see I've already got a bit of Nazi Germany in the 40's there. And while there are other significant designs Me163 to name one, I'd rather not do any more.
My district is pretty easy going about this, but I'd rather not be accused of glorifying the Nazis to 10 yr olds..

Mike
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 08:50 PM UTC
I'd have to include the B-52. Right now, the plane with the longest service record and, according to one report, a service life that will extend to 2045, nearly a century after it went into service. P-51 and F4U Corsair as the quintescential American WWII fighters. B-17, the backbone of the airwar in Europe. B-29, the only plane to drop an A bomb in anger. Spitfire and Hurricane, the planes that staved off Germany in the Battle of Britain.
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 09:19 PM UTC
Some others for your consideration:

Il-2 - most produced aircraft ever. As Stalin stated, 'They are needed by the Red Army like it needs air or bread'

Comet - first jet powered airliner

707 - another of Boeing's success story

F-4 Phantom - backbone of the USAF/USN for two decades, along with many other countries

747 - the first Jumbo Jet, introducing the concept of wide-body and high bypass ratio engines

Concorde - first supersonic transport

F-15 - most successful fighter ever

MiG-21 - simply a classic

F6F Hellcat - backbone of the USN in the Pacific

B-2 - the most expensive aircraft ever

B-36 - the first true intercontinental bomber (the B-29 didn't really have that capability)

Tomahawk - not an aircraft, but it's usually the first aerial piece of equipment that crosses into enemy airspace when the US goes to war nowdays

Tu-95 - the face of the big bad Soviet Union during the Cold War

F-86 Sabre and MiG-15 - these two would have to go together, they are the image of the Korean War.

UH-1 Huey - One word, Vietnam.

Perhaps tthe F-104 or F-16, both of which were very succesful designs, although there wasn't really anything special about either of them.

Personally, three of the aircraft you've listed could be considered Nazi, not anything near a fair bit. But if you don't want the Me 262, there is always the Meteor. Either way, there are importaint designs to have come out of Germany between 1933 and 1945, but one must keep them seperate from the politics.

Hope that helps, some food for thought.

Cheers,
Linz
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
thanks for the thoughts.. I just found the third box of planes with the 1/144 B17 and the the Concorde in it as well as the nearly completed (needs decals) Osprey.

I might grab the X-4 (forget who made it..) and X-5 (Maintrack) as well as a the Airfix Dehavaland Comet and a Harrier.
I know Mach2's stuff can be a bit dodgy, but the X24's look pretty good too..

Too many planes, too little ceiling. -grin-

Mike
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC
How's about another one: the F4D-1 Skyray was the Navy's first supersonic fighter/interceptor and it set closed circuit records in its time, that's significant. It was also the first aircraft to carry orbital satellite launch vehicles, I dare say in the world, back in 1958. Of the seven launches, it is believed that #1 and #3 were successful and actually put a Navy payload into orbit. Interestingly, this information is still classified.

Tamiya's 1:72 scale model is pretty nice too...

Gunnie
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
re: skyray..
I had absolutely no idea..

I started the same thread over on hyperscale and, its already burried 3 pages in.., found out a great deal of a/c to add. More planes than I have ceiling in the room

Looks like I'll be adding the Comet, the B2, a couple more x planes, the ISS and the in-progress kits.
I really wish there was a Vin Fizz in 1/72.. oh well..

On a related note, anyone know any aviation records web pages?

Mike
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
Let's not forget the C5 galaxy or one of the russian heavy lift !
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC
re: C5.. remember, ,I've got them hanging from the sprinkler pipes of an elementary school classroom.. not only do I have to get them in the door, up in the air, but support them with fishing line and not overtax the pipe!

I'd love to do a 1/72 B52, B1,B2, and C5..but then I woke up..-grin-

Mike
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
Mike,
Check these out:
http://www.naa-usa.org/website/html/recordsset.html
http://www.fai.org/general_aviation/records
Iron-Fist
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
MLD I wish my teachers were as cool as you.
 _GOTOTOP