Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
Gutten Tag, Alles:

I just got a copy of Monogram's Offical Luftwaffe Painting Guide--wonderful!

An interesting discovery is a ME-163 Komet with red-brown blotches here and there. The Luftwaffe used a red-oxide primer on their aircraft, just as the Wehrmacht did so on their armor! I haven't read far enough to know if it was the same color or widely used. With this in mind I offer this URL to a post on the armor forum about the red AFV primer:
Panzer Primer

A shameful procrastinator, I have meant to post these tidbits for awhile:

Canopies: the JU-88 cockpit and bombadier windscreen fitters were obviously not aircraft modelers--obvious gaps between the framing and the fuselage. They wouldn't win any IPMS contests...

The FW-190 had a prominent seam running down the middle of the fuselage from the canopy to the empendage. Poor seam work I haven't found a good photo of the 190's belly so can't say if it was there, too. I use as example the book about Yellow 10.

The ME-262 fuselage was puttied along rivet lines to smooth the airflow. No need to scribe panel lines there.
IIRC, so was the -109.

According to the Monogram Guide, the tech order for the ME-262 specified that the underside was to be unpainted except for the wooden gear doors, the RATO plate and the jet pods; this was frequently ignored. But an interesting, historically accurate paint job, much like FW-190D Yellow 10.

More as I think of them.

I hope others will share your findings.
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC
It's amazing how rough and ready the real machines were. I read somewhere that the Ar234 had a thick layer of filler applied to all joints and polished, to improve aerodynamics. I have also seen a photo of a Spitfire PR that has been given the filler treatment - making it look like soem of the old bangers that are forever in the process of being "done up".

The trouble is, while such schemes might be 100% authentic, on a model they always tend to look like a rubbish paint job on the part of the modeller - this is true of armour modelling, when a scruffy winter scheme is called for. Somehow, they never look "right"...
 _GOTOTOP