_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Best A-10 kit?
ave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:00 PM UTC
What is the best A-10 kit around? How about the Tamiya one, since thats the only one I can get easily.
Vodnik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is the best A-10 kit around? How about the Tamiya one, since thats the only one I can get easily.

I assume you mean 1/48 scale. Tamiya kit is nice, but it is a model of prototype A-10. It is significantly different from production aircraft. I think I also heard it is a bit under scale, but I'm not sure. Revell/Monogram kit is more accurate for production plane, but still needs some modifications to bring it to most current configurations. This is generally very good model, but has one disadvantage compared to Tamiya model - it has raised panel lines, while Tamiya has them engraved.

Pawel
Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:19 PM UTC
Tamiya's A-10 has raised panel lines on most areas of the model except for the forward fuselage.

Vodnik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya's A-10 has raised panel lines on most areas of the model except for the forward fuselage.

Really? Didn't know that, thanks! Then R/M kit is superior in all aspects.

Pawel
fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:45 PM UTC
About Tamiya A-10 Thunderbolt II found on the Hobby Link Japan webshop:
"Tamiya released this kit relatively early in their series of 1/48 aircraft because of their president's fondness for the plane. This has helped fuel the rumors that the company is also working on a 1/32 version, but that remains to be seen. This is a top-notch kit of the plane, with good detail all-around, but if you want to build a Hog in this scale, you're probably better off with the Monogram offering."

Tamiya 61028 - 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt II

HTH.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
If you don't mind spending the money, Trumpeter has a A-10 in 1/32. Costs about $85 to $90 us dollars. Well put togather aircraft, engraved panel lines, metal landing gear and working flaps. I could keep on going, but the down fall is that the cockpit is very week with soft detail. You can buy a after market cockpit from Black Box or Verlinden for about $20-$40 us dollars.

ave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you don't mind spending the money, Trumpeter has a A-10 in 1/32. Costs about $85 to $90 us dollars. Well put togather aircraft, engraved panel lines, metal landing gear and working flaps. I could keep on going, but the down fall is that the cockpit is very week with soft detail. You can buy a after market cockpit from Black Box or Verlinden for about $20-$40 us dollars.

Wow that is way too expensive for me. So I guess its the Tamiya one then.
 _GOTOTOP