_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tamiya's Vought F4U-1d corsair
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
Did anyone ever build this kit?
(the one with the little "moto-tug" included)

cheerz Q.
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
I haven't built that particular one, but it's on my list. I did build the F4U-1A recently and it was a very nice kit. The only tricky part that I found were the wing attachments as they were a bit hard to get them to line up nicely when in the down position.

Other than that, I had a lot of fun with that kit and I wouldn't be surpised if the -1D is very similar in quality.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't built that particular one, but it's on my list. I did build the F4U-1A recently and it was a very nice kit. The only tricky part that I found were the wing attachments as they were a bit hard to get them to line up nicely when in the down position.

Other than that, I had a lot of fun with that kit and I wouldn't be surpised if the -1D is very similar in quality.

I've heard of this problem and will probably be doing my -1D soon. Was there a trick you figured out to getting around this problem? I've heard that some people first attach the top half and then the bottom?? Does this seem good?

Thanks for any advice for the future.
Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
I haven't built the 1D, yet but I have tackled the 1A SEE HERE A very nice kit. As you will see I built mine with the wings folded so I didn't encounter any fit problems with the wings. The kit is well engineered so there is probably a workable solution.
Mal
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
Other than doing some good test fitting beforehand, I would suggest that you just take your time with that particular step. The left wing on mine lined up great. The right wing was a little off and I ended up having to file the slot a bit to get the correct fit.

What I think happened in my case was the attachment strut wasn't seated 100% correctly, which threw everything off a bit. I was able to rectify, but not before a moment of panic.
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2004 - 06:36 AM UTC
It's in fact a very nice it!

I'm going for the folded wings so no problem for me.
Nice detail in the cockpit area!
U really sea the differance between Tamiya and the others

_GOTOTOP