_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tamiya V1 painting instructions wanted
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hello,
Since, I usually paint with Tamiya paints anyway, does anyone have a copy/scan of the instructions for the Tamiya kit I could use to paint the DML 1/72 vers?
Emailed scans would be great, links to a website too.

Thanks,
Mike
octupus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 11:58 PM UTC
MLD,

What kit that you are going to paint with Tamiya paints?
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
Sorry, it was in the title but not the body. The 1/48th scale Tamiya V1 flying bomb kit either from its own boxing or the set boxed with the Meteor jet.

Mike
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 02:32 PM UTC
According to the Monogram guide:

Quoted Text

Initially most of these bombs were camouflaged with a single uppersurface color of either Black Green 70, Dark Green 71, or either of the two maritime greens, 72 and/or 73. There were also recorded instances of bombs in Gray Green 74, Gray-Violet 75 over uppersurfaces.

The lower portions were usually in 65 light blue (for greens) and 76 Light Blue (for grays). The solid application of paint later gave way to a mottle effect while still others incorporated a mix of styles due to decentralization in manufacturing of parts.

The bombs uncovered by the U.S. Army at the large Dannenberg complex in April 1945 were painted in a thin coat of Yellow-Green 99 over uppersurfaces with light Gray underneat. Warheads were in Dark Green 82. This is a case where the protective primer paint (99) also served as adequate camouflage covering.

Traces of light blue were observed on certain small underside components of many of these bombs such as fillets and control covers

Two notes that may help, V-1s were built in sub-assemblies, meaning that the colours do not have to match up over panel lines. Also, some V-1s had a mottle of RLM 76 sprayed over the top of the RLM 75.

For matches to the Tamiya paint range, I recommend looking at a list compiled just for that purpose. Only using Tamiya paints, I use this conversion chart only.

If you want to keep it simple, the Tamiya spray cans listed are:
- AS-3 Gray Green
- AS-5 Light Blue
- AS-9 Dark Green

The dolly was either RLM02 or Panzer Grey (cannot remember the correct designation at this stage, but it's the same colour used on early war German tanks). There is an argument for Dark Yellow being used as that is what AFVs were switched to, however I cannot come up with any definite answers either way. My suggestion, stick with Panzer Grey.

Cheers,
Linz
 _GOTOTOP