_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
WWII aircraft antenna wire, what do you use?
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 03:14 PM UTC
As you guessed from the title I would like to know what everyone likes to use as far as material for rigging an antenna. On my Avenger there is one from the tail to about the middle of the cockpit. One thing I was concidering is some super thin fishing line. It is some speacial stuff made for fly fishing and should work. In the same box I also have some super thin wire for tying flies. Anyway if you could tell me what you use and how you do if I would be grateful as always.
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 03:23 PM UTC
In my A/C I used 0,08 mm fishing line. Human hair is also good (circa 0.06 mm). But the fishing line is stronger.

Toni
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:50 PM UTC
Here's an odd one for you . . .

I used heat-stretched Evergreen styrene tubing. Although heated and stretched, it still keeps a miniscule hollow section which, according to my rusty high school physics, means it will be stronger than a solid filament. It's worked well for me so far -- I've got a Mosquito night fighter rigged with it, and it hasn't sagged in five years.

But then, I can't seem to do things simply any more
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC
I raid my wifes pantyhose drawer
I take an old pair of pantyhose and pick out one thread from the hose and use that. It streatches and stays taught and straight. It can be teadeous to extract just one thread. I would make sure you have a piece of hose that is way to big first. Next pin down the 4 corners to a board. Next starting in the middle with the long threads perpendicular to your shoulders make two snips and cut the first thread running parallel to your shoulders. Then gradually work you way down the entire length until you have a piece long enough.
Attaching it is done by first putting a drop of CA at one end and placing the thread on it. Wait until that dries TOTALLY. I usually wait a day. Then put a drop of glue on the other end and draw the line taught and stretched. This is the hard part - hold the thread in the glue untill it 'grabs' enough to let go. Don't worry about extra hanging off. Once both ends are dry trim it up. Maybe touch up the glue with dull coat. Done. I use this on almost all of my AC. Works well and had gotten me some good complements.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 09:34 PM UTC
I have a book on detailing a/c and the author uses black fishing line. I have endeavored to find some but haven't been able to find any yet.

He also gives a great tip as far as making it taut. Install the line as tight as you can get it and then glue it into place. If it sags a little, take a open flame (lighter, match) and slowly bring it close to the line from the side. As the line begins to warm up it tightens up forming a taunt antennae 'wire'. I haven't tried this method yet but have heard it does work. I wanted to try it on my corsair I just finished but like I said, can't find the black fishing line.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Drew,
I used stretched sprue for my antenna wire on my planes and on my two armor kits. :-)

HTH
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
thanks for all the info guys and gals (always have to remember to throw that in when Penny lends a hand There are some great things to practice with and see what I like.

Quoted Text

like I said, can't find the black fishing line.

Try a fishing stor that carries fly fishing and fly tying stuff. We (fly fisherman and fly tiers) use a lot of really little things in our practice. I do have some almost black fishing line but its for Stealhead and its a little to thick. I have dipped into my flyfishing stuff several times when modeling. Next time you go buy one of those stores poke your head in, I am sure you will see something you can use.
Sancho0409
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
I use heated sprue too. If you are patient enough and practice a little like I have, you can get in thinner than a hair, so if a real hair would work, the sprue should too.
tede911
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Invisible thread or repair thread. U can get it at any sewing or craft store. Many convenience stores also sell it around here. Very strong. It is akin to very thin black fishing line.

I use little drops of white glue to represent the ceramic insulators at either end (where applicable).

KFMagee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:40 PM UTC
I use a dark charcoal black surgical thread... first I run out about 8-10 inches of the thread and attach a weight to one end. then holding the other end of the dangling string so the wieght pulls it taunt, I pour CA glue (slow cure) into a plastic glove, and run my fingers down the length of the string. In a few seconds, I have a very fine, and VERY STIFF / STRAIGHT wire for my antennea! Now connect the wire to the model, and trim off the excess! I fyou find any "white spots" on the string, wipe on a coat of black wash... the string staightness won't be affected.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi,

I'd be using a strand of electrical wire that's commonly available at stores. You get the multistrand wire; take one of them and string it up. The thickness of the wire at times depends upon the type of wire used; I have access to wire strands of nearly 0.3-0.5 mm with about 6-10 strands in the wire. I'm planning to use this for my Hellcat.

Good part is, it's naturally aluminium colored(so no painting reqd !), and is also resilient, and won't break as easily as stretched sprue.

My 2 rupees ...

Rgds,
BP.
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:27 PM UTC
I sent a diagram to Jim, but in case it doesn't come through to well, here goes...
This is great for 1:48 and 1:32 scale planes. Adjust the size of insulation and fishing line to match the scale. I take a piece of Telephone Electrical cable and strip off a piece of insulation from an individual strand about 2 mm long. Then take a strand of 2lb. test fishing line and slide the piece of insulation on one end. Then loop the line around the antenna mast and feed it back through the insulation, making a slip knot and pull it tight to snug the insulation up to the mast. Add put a drop of cyano glue on it and trim the excess off. Repeat for the other end on the vertical stab stub. You can also add a "pig tail" down from the tail to the fuselage/canopy etc. by not trimming off the excess, but running it down to a hole or stub. Its easiest to start at the fuselage and finish at the antenna mast. Paint the line and "insulators" and you are done. HTH
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
Chief, great tip on the assembly and insulator material. Thanks!
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:44 PM UTC
I got the idea last year when I built the USS Oregon kit and figured it would work for aircraft as well as ships.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 05:45 PM UTC
:-) I actually use what I think is called shearing elastic. It's very thin comes on a reel and can be tinted with felt pens. Because it is elastic it stays taught without any pressure on aerial masts but above all it can be nocked and will not break. In fact it is possible to pick up 1/48 scale WWII fighter by the antenna wire if this elastic is used. It is attached with super glue.
 _GOTOTOP