_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
folded corsair wings
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 04:30 AM UTC
As you guys allready know i'm building the tamiya corsair 1D.(progress pics in gallery).Now i am coming to the point..a descision.Folded or not folded?that's the question.

I taught og doing 1wing folded and the other not.But is this realistic?How were those wings folded? Manually or with some kind of hydrolic system?

Some advice might help

cheerz Q!
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
nobody?
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
Well this turns out to be a very interesting question, much more so than I originally thought it would be.

First your 1D "probably" was equipped with hydraulic folding wings, particularly if it's a Navy carrier based version, they moved together not independantlly.

Now for the "probably" part :

The F4U-1 had fixed wings, many models there after intented for land based units retained the fix wing configuration, particularly close support Marine units (low attiutde version)

Goodyear versions the FG series were "mostly" fixed wing but some had manual folding wings, and could be folded independantly.

I found it hard to determine exactly where and the how the folding verse fixed wing version designated. Suffice it to say "carrier based versions had folding wings", "some land based versions had fixed wings".

Wow, who'd have thunk it would be the complicated ?
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
Imagine that Chuck, I was just about to refer Quentin to you...
Quentin- check this link:
http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/CFMMain.html
Go to the "airplanes" section & look at the FG-1D. It is on display with 1 wing folded & the other deployed.
You can probably email this museum with a question about it...
HTH
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the confidence Robert, but just doing some quick research on this question surprised me. Who know there were so many variations in wing for a plane we are all used to seeing with folded wings. I mean really fixed, mechanical and hydraulic, interspersed through out the production, WOW, and it varies by country of use too, the French and British both used the aircraft and made their own mods to suit their purposes.
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
Thanks!

_GOTOTOP