_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
More Pictures for the Aircraft gallery.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 09:22 AM UTC
In an effort to get more pics into the aircraft gallery and into this forum. I thought it might be an idea to have a sort of show and tell thing. I'm not sure how it will work but to start off what about someone (me to start) chooses a subject (an aircraft from any era) and posts a picture. Others post one picture of their model of the same aircraft. The thread is open for a period (we'll have to suck it and see, could be a week could be a month) then all members that want to can vote for their favourite and the top errrr.........1-3? go into the aircraft gallery. The member receiving the most votes chooses the next subject and posts a pic, and we start again. You can't "win" twice in a row.
The reasons for posting only one pic are so the thread doesn't become to heavy to load and it will encourage the taking of better quality of pictures. (Help and advice, as always, are on hand in this respect)
We do need lots more pics in the aircraft galleries. It is nice to have well made and finished models on show, but maybe we can have a novice section? Or a separate novice show and tell. I wouldn't want this to become elitist in any way.
If you have more than one model of the subject then you can post one pic of each.
When you post a picture you must include a few details:
1. Manufacturer and Scale
2. Any modifications alterations additions etc to the kit.
3. Paints used and brief description of weathering techniques used.
4. Markings used, kit or other.
5. Any difficulties experienced during the making of the kit.
To start here is my Hasegawa 1/48 scale P-47 "razorback) Thunderbolt. It has PE seat belts and a Invisible mending thread antenna. It is painted using Xtracolor enamel paints with artist oil paint and white spirit wash and uses the kit decals. I had no difficulties with this wonderful kit.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea? I'm not sure how the votes will be cast but I will think of something
Let’s see you P-47s
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi Mal

The "Show and tell" is a great idea!

I certainly won't be entering a P-47... I've got a pile of references on the shelf, but I think the last one I actually finished was about 1969!

I've got a P-72 conversion on order from Koster Aero Enterprises, but Bill's just e-mailed me that he'll be away 'till March.... Phweww!! I got out of that one!!

All the best

Rowan
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:38 AM UTC
I think it is a great idea! as I LOVE looking at completed models. I will try to add where I can. So with posting the same aircraft - just want to make sure - is it now all p-47s or just razorbacks?
Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Leon,
Any P-47, I have P-47N which I will add when there are, hopefully, more entries.
One of the reasons for doing this is because I like looking at finished models
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
I look forward to seeing your p-47n, Mal.

I have been playing around trying to get a decent picture of this. The NMF reflects like crazy, so I played with different lighting and backgrounds. Sorry it is not the greatest shot, but it was the one I was happiest with.

Anyway the kit details: Academy 1/48 p-47n. It has an aires cockpit in it, but not seen in this picture. It also has true details weighted tires and hypodermic needles for the guns; I wish I could have had more success with getting them all lined up perfectly.

For paint I used SNJ (and their powder) and the tamiya line. Weathering is airbrushed smoke for postshading / gun stains, etc, and a wash of water/liquid detergent/gray mix. As for difficulties...my skills are still developing, so I had a lot of (probably self-created) fit problems (and fits when I had to deal with those ), but it is probably a little better than the last one I made, so that makes me happy.

Anyway the picture:

Hopefully more will be posted soon. Again I really like the idea and hope it catches on.

Hope all is well.
Leon
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For paint I used SNJ (and their powder) and the tamiya line.

Hi Leon

Your P-47 is a beauty! Can you give a bit more info on the technique, because that's a superb n/m finish! A really subtle sheen and shading.

All the best

Rowan
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you give a bit more info on the technique, because that's a superb n/m finish! A really subtle sheen and shading.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks so much for the complement Rowan. It means a lot to me. Let me know if the description below is what you mean.

After assembling all but the little parts that get added on the end, the entire model received multiple light coats of SNJ aluminum paint. (Their website is found here ). After that has had a little time to cure I did the step that really makes it shine which is to put a little of their polishing powder on and polish away. It comes out so nice and shiny that any further work is difficult because you hate to mess up such a beautiful shine .

After that I masked off the areas for the blue (tamiya tape) and painted them with Tamiya blue. At this step none of the SNJ lifted, but during the next step problems hit. I then masked off the blue (with tamiya tape again) so I could paint the black "trim" and chunks of the blue lifted. I think the shining powder is not a super stable surface to mask on (I don't know if a coat of future before the color painting would help or what...) So I repainted the blue and then masked again, but this time using parafilm and had absolutely no problems!! I shot some future on these areas to prepare for the decals. Finally I masked for and sprayed Tamiya OD.

After the decals, I applied my 'sludge wash.' and then very carefully sprayed some floquil satin around the decal film to try to hide it - pretty good results, but not perfect.

Finally I put some thinned tamiya smoke in the airbrush and carefully sprayed panel lines and various stains. The smoke is nice because it really takes many passes to show up, so you have a lot of control.

Thanks again for the positive comment. I had a lot of trouble with the actual construction, but the painting was a ton of fun on this build!

Hope all is well.
Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
I need to take some more pics of my P-47N, the ones I have are not very good. Problem is the only time that I'll be able to take them, I'll need to use a flash. Anyway I'll see what I can do.
My kit is from Revell (possibly a re-boxing of another manufacturers kit?) The Academy one looks a little more refined. A very nice job you have done there Leon, looks very good indeed.
I picked up a Tamiya 1/48 Bubble top at Telford and I have a sneaking suspicion that my daughter has bought me the razorback for Christmas :-) I also have the Hasegawa version, so many more P-47s to come :-)
Mal
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC
Just so the 1/72 scale is heard from. These are a couple of oldies. Both are circa 1970 and weathered by years of neglect on the shelf. The Black squares on both checkerboard patterns are individual decals applied one at a time, what an idiot !

P-47 D from Airfix

P-47 N from Heller
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me know if the description below is what you mean.

Hi Leon

That's perfect! I've yet to do an n/m finish I'm happy with... but if I ever manage to do one like yours I'll know I'm onto a winner! Thanks for the explanation.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Black squares on both checkerboard patterns are individual decals applied one at a time, what an idiot !

Hi Chuck

Wow! Individual squares in 1/72 scale!... I won't ask how long it took...

The result looks superb! I doubt you could have made a single decal snuggle 'round the curves - 1970 was before the days of decal softening solutions...

All the best

Rowan
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
The kits did come with a "wrap around" ha,ha one piece checkerboard decal but I found it impossible to make those work, still do. :-) So I made my own, yes hours of work but at least I was able to make that work.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 10:48 AM UTC
Come on where are the rest of you guys. I know anyone who builds WWII aircraft has built a "JUG" at one time or another. I pulled a couple of my old builds out you can too. Let's see 'em.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC

I've posted the above for a friend of mine, he's a new member, and sent the photo to me, since he hasn't mastered posting for himself yet. His name is Ron, and his call sign is SSGT. So hopefully when he figure things out, on posting how to's, you aircraft guys will welcome him. The Kit is the 1/32 scale Fisher Panther. I'm sure he'll be able to discribe it better than I can, and answer any questions better than I can.

thanks for letting me post this for him....
Dave .... da grumpy dude...... :-) :-) :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
You must encourage your friend to get on here and post some more of his pics. If he PMs me I'll be more than happy to run him through how to go about it
That's a wonderful looking Panther, I guess this has now become a P-47 and Panther search for the gallery :-) Does your friend have any P-47 pics?
Mal
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:52 AM UTC
DOH...... I'm an airhead..... didn't realize it was for P-47's.....
Sorry guys...... he probably has some P-47 though..... :-) :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hehehe, no worries Dave nice to see the Panther. I'm just trying to encourage the posting of more pics and to get the best into the permenant gallery, by getting more members involved.
We could sure use some pics of that very nice Panther.
Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hi all. Hope I'm not breaking the rules. Here are my two P-47s I'm working on right now. They are both Tamiya kits that are being built OOB with Ultrcast wheels. I'm using a combination of MM and Floquil paints. Both will have Aeromaster decals. Weathering will be done with an artist oil wash. Both aircraft have the pilots in their cockpits and there will be a crewman on each wing guiding the pilots as they taxi to the runway.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:28 PM UTC
No rules broken? very nice looking pair of jugs :-)
When I asked if you could post these here I didn't realise that you were going to do a feature on your diorama? (is that correct?) So these beauties will be in the gallery anyway. On another note though, part of the idea for starting this is that members vote for their favourites. If you were to win that vote you get to choose the next aircraft type in the next vote
With the responce so far I don't think it will hurt to keep this going until your pair of jugs (sorry I can't help saying that :-) ) are complete. maybe you could take pics of them seperately, before adding them to your diorama?
In the meantime I could start a second thread, on a different theme. Hopefully that will attract more interest.
Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 07:30 AM UTC
Mal. I was able to get alot of work done on them the last few days. They are going to be in a dio that I am going to try to post on the Model on Display forum. Your idea of taking pics of them seperately is a good idea. By the way this is a great idea, Wingman out.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
I'm going to surprise yous guys someday and actually build an aircraft........ :-) :-) :-) :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 10:16 AM UTC
Finally got around to taking some pics of my P-47N

1. Revell 1/48
2. The only additions were PE seat belts and I replaced the centre section of the pitot tube with stainless steel tube (not easy) but I won.
3. This was my first, and so far only, use of Alclad II. The only shade I had was Chrome. The instructions state to undercoat with gloss black, I used a Halfords rattle can. To achieve difference in panels I polished some with SNJ polishing powder. It is possible to get differing shades depending on how much you polish. I nearly left her black cos she looked so cool. After polishing it was just to shinny After applying the decals I added a couple of hand brushed coats of Klear then added a dark grey artist oil colour wash, which toned everything down nicely. The yellow and olive green parts were masked and painted after the alclad II and before the decals.
4. Decals were from the kit. they were not bad but you can see a white edge to the star and bar decals and a couple of others were out of register.
5. There were only a couple of difficulties: Filling and sanding around the pair of antennas. I wanted the Yellow and Olive Green areas to be matt, so I masked them off, after applying the Klear coats. When I removed the masking on the forward fuselage it took away a little of the large busty decal It isn't actually very noticeable.
It looks like the Academy P-47 is a little more refined and I believe that Leon has got the wheel well colour correct.
OK any more takers, Penny have you got any P-47s? love to see it.
Mal
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

That's the plane I'm building! Thanks for the intel about building it. I really haven't started yet.

Great looking!

BTW, I have some photos of her with pilot at Chi Chi Jima (IIRC) in my book Pineapple Air Force. IIRC, it did have a bit of spit & polish.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
I would be very interested in that photo. I'm thinking about re-doing this aircraft, using Pyn up decals
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
OK, just re-posting here to bring this back to the top, just incase there are some out there who have not seen it
Mal
 _GOTOTOP