_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
MD-500 into AH-6J in 1:48 scale
Tommy_Guns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
I need help ladies and gentlemen.

For the upcoming campaing (weather it becomes approved or not I am still wanting to build this REALLY BAD!) I am planning to make an MD-500 into an AH-6J little bird carrying Delta operators on the external seats.

The kit conversion and scratch building will be my first attempt... so here are the questions I have for you:

1) Since I do not know too much about the AH-6J nor the MD500 (the kit I am using is Hesagawa IDF Defender) I will be cutting out the doors, adding in a vent in the rear under panel, correcting the exhaust (which the AH 6J has in the rear) where as the kit comes with a top mounted exhausts on each side. I understand the tail and the main rotor are identical... are there any differences in the top of the helo-meaning the engine structure? I have noticed that both derrived from the OH Cause (hope I speeled that correctly) but I have noticed several different engine hat designs on the helo top. Also... any tips on the markings of the craft? I pulled up some photos online regarding the painting and marking but was not 100%sure how current the information was.

2) Its not pertaining the helo itself but rather the staff for it... any tips on where I may be able to find ANY modern soldiers in 1:48 scale??? I will need their equipment, armour, guns and bodies as base for converting them into sitting delta operators.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 12:24 PM UTC
G'day mate
unless you are dead set on converting it yourself...DML's AH-6J is now back in production and available at most hobby shops.
cheers
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 12:47 PM UTC
I agree with lestweforget, it would be much easier to build DMLs AH-6J into an MH-6J (troopo carrier version with external troop planks). Cobra Company does a conversion set with troop planks and other MH-6J MELB (Mission Enhanced LittleBird). Also, there are lots of 1/35 figures you could use as Operators sitting on the planks too. I don't know of any 1/48 modern figures.

Here is mine that I recently completed.

I still need to do up the pilots and Operators to sit on the planks to complete it.
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 07:20 PM UTC
G'day Gino
great job mate, i really like it, the " No Fear" decal is a nice addition
( isnt that a clothing brand sticker, or does that decal come with the kit?)
Those are a different style seats to the standard "park bench" ones ive seen on the littlebirds, did you create them, or are they just another style that is used?
cheers mate, good job
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
David,
Glad you like it. The decals are all custom made by a fiend of mine, including the No Fear. I just printed them up on decal paper. 160th SOAR has these on the noses of their Littlebirds. The people planks are from the Cobra Company kit, they are the latest style.
Tommy_Guns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
Thank you guys for posting-really appreciate it (sorry I have not been able to check this out till today).

In regards to the AH-6J DML kit-I tried looking for it and none of my local shops have it-I did find it at online stores but they to are out of stock so I gave up on it (unless I finally find one)-the original idea was to use the DML Delta Force in Somalia set and convert them to sitting positions but without the 1:35 helo its a no go.

I did find the conversion set from Cobra-thank you very much for the link- I like what they have done-excellent subject.

As to your kit-GREAT JOB-I love it. I like the interior detail-excellent job. That is what I am trying to put together but darn it now that I am looking for the LittleBird no body has it in stock...grrrrrr

So that is why I poped with the 1:48 idea... I belive I have seen a set of Moden Airborne in 1:48 that were intended for a 1:48 scale Blackhawk but I may be wrong... so I figured I will ask...

Oh well, if all else fails I'm just going to start harrasing my local hobby shops to get me one of the DML kits no matter where it comes from.

Once again, thank you guys.
 _GOTOTOP