_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Aires resin cockpits-any good?
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC
G'day Guys, well the topic of this thread might be a bit misleading, but i couldnt think of anything else.
I just bought Tamiya's 1/48 A-1J Skyraider, and an Aires Cokpit for the 1/48 A-1 (on hobby easy it simply called it a cockpit for A-1, so i assumed it would be suitable)
now upon having a look at the kits cockpit, and the aires one, i am very very disapointed....
The Tamiya parts seem more detailed, and generally MORE parts, than what this aires resin cockpit comes with, the aires cockpits seat is a smooth, undetailed bucket seat, wheras the Tamiya one has padding, and all sorts of details.
As far as the interior of the cockpit, and the insturment panels go, well they seem identical to me!
whats the go with it! are Aires simply dodgy, or is it just this particular set.
another thing is hobby easy tricked me... the aires cockpit is not for an "A-1" but an "A-1H"... anyway, just a lil let down on my first resin update set :-) but can someone tell me why is is such a shotty attempt at a kit that is meant to IMPROVE the skyraider, not make it worse.
cheers
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:28 PM UTC
http://www.seatejectcolor.com/seat/
Skyraider seat info.
If you get the home page... on right upper, click on "seat for type of aircraft, find the US flag on left... then look for skyraider... click picture, you get color info on Yankee ejector seat. click on the little camera, and you'll get more info, and larger detail drawings and other infomation.
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 08:45 PM UTC
Thanks alot for that dave, thatll prove very helpful.
i see thats the one Tamiya comes with, nicely detailed and all..... then aires seat looks like on of those plastic high school chairs...., i will hafdta get a pic to show you all what i mean.
but yeah, can anyone answer the Q's i asked in first post.
cheers
Vodnik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 08:46 PM UTC
I have never seen A-1 cockpit from Aires, so I can't say anything about it. But in general Aires cockpits are very good, whith lots of accurate detail and come with photoetched parts. So I would say that A-1 set must be an exception.
The only problem of Aires sets which I know of is that they are usually too accurate... This means that some dimensions may be very accurate, but they make fitting the cockpit to target kit very difficult and requires a lot of work. Not all their cockpit are like that as some are almost a drop fit, but many are.

Pawel
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 08:57 PM UTC
G'day Pawel
yeah, so i have now heard.... a few people have told me aires are very good, so maybe this was their one failure dang, why did i hafta get stuck with it :-)
cheers mate
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 06:48 PM UTC
From Skyraider in Action:::
"The final version of the Skyraider, the AD-7, was externally identical to the AD-6."
So in other words they looked the same.

"In 1962 the AD-7 was redesignated A-1J"
"In 1962 the AD-6 was redesignated A-1H"
from Squadron Skyraidier in Action.

The differences being the AD-7 (A-1J)had a new engine Wright R3350-26WB, the strongest landing gear, strengthened wing spars, and wing fittings. And had the needed fittings for the buddy refueling pods, which were also fitted to the AD-6's(A-1H). Only 72 A-1J's (AD-7) were built.
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC
Thanks Dave
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
I have several Aires cockpits and they are all very good. Maybe the Skyraider was an early attempt, it certainly doesn't sound like an Aires kit?
I have the CMK detail set for my Skyraider, it not only details the cockpit but thewheels, wheel bays, control surfaces and airbrakes and bays as well
Mal
 _GOTOTOP