Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hobbycraft 1/48 Hurricain IIc
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
Has anyone had any experiance with this kit???

Upon popping open the cover, it doesn't look like that bad of a kit. Definatly not a normal Hobbycraft molding as this actually has some detail. Almost looks like an old Hasagawa kit or something.

Its the Nightfighter Hurricain IIc version if that narrows it down any for you.

Any help with build issues would be much appreciated

Thanks
Scott
bison44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 07:21 AM UTC
Howdy Scott: I built the other HC boxing of this kit, and have the night intruder version as well, and they are almost exactly the same except for the decals. So you can build many versions of the Hurricane with the kit. The only place I had trouble was with the wheel wells/cockpit etc attaching to the lower wing and the the fuselage going over the top. I am not sure where I went wrong but i had to shave alot of the seat/rear armor plate off in order to get the fuselage to fit. and even then it did ot sit squarely in the space when the wings and body were aligned. I prob made a mistake but watch out there! And be careful with the prop blades, mine set a little crooked and it looks a little funny! Other than that it went together well and made a nice finished product. Good luck and make sure to post some pictures!
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 04:47 PM UTC
Scott, I built that kit as a 417 Sqn, it's a sweet baby!

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Scott

I haven't built one of Hobbycraft's Hurricanes since the 1980s... in the those days Hobbycraft decals were dreadful, but lately they've been excellent.

I'm going by memory, but the one serious problem I do recall with the kit was that there was a distinct lack of dihedral on the outer wing panels - it was the upper surfaces that were the biggest culprit.

Correcting it was a bit of a pain - but it just didn't look like a Hurricane without some surgery.

Hope this helps

Rowan
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:59 AM UTC
Generally it has been my experiance that the decals that come with their kits have been utter crap. I have a couple of their older kits, S2 Tracker (CRAP), F-16(CRAP), F-15J(CRAP), and all of their decals were utter CRAP!!! Why I kept buying them I don't know, must be a glutton for punishment!!!

That and the kit was only $10.....anyway, when I opened it, it has markings for 2 different British Hurricane SQDRs, and a French SQDR, and the decals look sooooo good that they almost look aftermarket, like Flightdecs or Two Bob's Decals...they really look that good.

I have been reading some articles on the kit and apparenlty it goes together fairly well, to make it a true night fighter it needs some stuff scratch built, like the night blindness panels ahead of the cockpit...and some other minor stiff....but all in all, its a good kit.....alot better than some of their other offerings.

Think I will do it in a Night Intruder Scheme with the extended range tanks......nice easy all black scheme!! LOL...show off a little weathering techniques, bare metal and such.
 _GOTOTOP