_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tips for making a good aircraft model
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC
So, do any of you experinced aircraft modelers have tips for us newbies on how to make an AC model stand out?
What are the things that get noticed? Detailed cockpit? Fancy paint scheme? Weathering? The little details? What details can I add that are usually forgotten?
I'll be focusing on WW II turboprop warplanes for the current moment, if that helps.

Thank you in advance, I do.

YodaMan
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
I think concentrating on the basics on any model will make it stand out. If you combine solid construction (no excess glue, no visible joints, no broken parts) with a solid paint job your well on your way to a stand out a/c. No matter how much detail went into a model or how elaborate a paint scheme, it doesn't look right with a gapping seam along the wing root or fuselage. Once those basics are done then maybe push onto the detailed items such as cockpits and camo schemes. Weathering is nice too (I like my a/c with a little dirt on them) but not when its overdone or unrealistic.

Apart from basic construction techniques, I think the easiest way to make an a/c model 'standout' is to construct a small base appropriate for the a/c. Take the corsair I just finished. It looks pretty plain just setting on the bookshelf next to some of the other models I've done but once I constructed a mock carrier deck using popcicle sticks and a picture frame and placed it on there it immediately transformed the scene-in my opinion. Its probably not good for me to boast of my model that way because I haven't posted pictures of it yet but will soon. In my opinion, though, (and my wifes...lol), it helps. Another good example would be some of the small bases that Gunnie constructs for his armor pieces.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hear hear Tin!!!

I spend as much or more time on my models dry-fitting, aligning, trimming, filing, gluing and puttying to minimize seams and then smoothing and polishing than I do detailing. Like Tin said, if the model isn't put together well to start with, all the detailing in the world isn't worth a tinker's damn.

On the flip side, a well-assembled and finished kit makes even a moderate amount of detail shine like a pearl.

Just my inflation rate's worth.

YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 08:32 AM UTC
Thanks guys!
I'll be starting my Corsair as soon as I get the PE and detail wheels.
Tin, could you elaborate on the carrier deck base you've built? It sounds like a pretty nifty display base!

Quoted Text

Just my inflation rate's worth.

That's a new one, Mike! I like it! :-)

YodaMan
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
Just an addition to what have already been said.

To me besides a flawless assembly and a good paint job, if the transparencies are not well done it ruins the whole model. The windshield and canopy on a a/c model is like the face on a figure, it the first thing our eyes are drawn to. I am by no mean an expert in canopy painting, indeed that is why I pretty much gave up a/c modeling all together.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 08:45 AM UTC
Excellent point Bombshell. Can't tell you how many AC (when I was into AC's) models I've seen that were really quite well done, with all that goes with it, only to be a little dissapointed at the care taken with the canopy (or the windscreen on the larger aircraft). It is a difficult thing to 'get down', but one of those things that can definitely make you 'stand out' if done well.
That was what you were looking for, right?

Tread.

Oh, another thing. Most AC (in shows) are displayed on the ground (tarmac). One of the things I've also noticed is the amazing attention to detail in the cockpit, the engine compartment (if open), etc, etc. Then you look at the struts......almost always looks like they spent 10 minutes each painting the struts and wheels.
Just my opinion.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC
Canopies are a good point to pay attention to. Took me a long time to get them down right-along with learning some tricks of making them turn out good.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 09:30 AM UTC
A couple of tricks i've found that help canopies, besides Future, are keeping a film can of window cleaner and some Q-tips handy to clean the canopy parts' inner surfaces before installation, and Blue Magic Liquid Metal Polish to buff out those small scuffs and scratches inside and out.

When the inflation rate hits double digits, I gotta get a new signoff line
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC
Well Yoda,
I would add my two cents worth,but why repeat everything that these guys have already said..... Can't wait to see the Corsair when ya get it finished....
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:13 AM UTC
I think that one of the most important things to pay attention to is clean construction and painting. Things like properly filled seams, wing alignment, and a good paintjob are the core elemnts to a good build. As you get a few planes under your belt, move on to weathering and superdetailing, and your aircraft building skills will improve geometrically over the course of just a few models.
lambertjr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
This is a little thing, but if you are going to show these models, accuracy is HUGE!
I don't know how many times I have heard people at shows say "That looks just like my old airplane".
Accuracy in the markings and paint scheme go a long way. Yes, you will have to devote some time to research, but when you are walking around the showroom and you hear someone say that" the corsair over there looks just like it does in a sqaudron picture that my grandfather has from the war" you will have a dose of pride that you cant imagine.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Yoda,
I would add my two cents worth,but why repeat everything that these guys have already said..... Can't wait to see the Corsair when ya get it finished....

Heh heh... It might be a while...
I just got my PE set, resin wheels, and the 'F4U Corsair in Action" book in the mail yesterday. This project is ready to start! :-)
Kinda funny though... I'm torn between armor and aircraft. I love tanks! I love planes! Hear a squadron of B-17 flying overhead... Feel the ground shake as a Sherman rumbles past... Gee, consider me a modelbuilder for life!!!

Tin, do you have a picture of that carrier deck base you built? It sounds like the kind of base I'm looking for!

YodaMan
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tin, do you have a picture of that carrier deck base you built? It sounds like the kind of base I'm looking for!

YodaMan

Yoda, I had planned to have them up already but my digital camera source has fallen through (she lost the parallel cable that hooks the camera to the computer). As soon as I can I'll get them up.
ponysoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
Ok tips from old timers hmmmm well here goes.Many years ago before the advent of
flat paints. We added baby powder to enamal paint to make it flat. Now that problem
has been cured,but how about that touchy wing root were you dont want to create
3 ft of collateral damage?Since I dont have the way to transmit pictures at least now.
I"ll describe this to you all.First you need a bottle of flat military paints a popsicle stick
and some baby powder. Pour some baby powder into a folded piece of paper,Whoa
easy on the amount now alittle goes a long way , add this to your paint a little at a time.
The effect your after after you stir this in is paint that does not drip off your stir stick.
Now what???You might ask. This is agreat filler for those tough spots were you dont
a lot of damage created by large amounts of a heavy bulk filler. This little recipe can be
added to your model with even the smallest paint brush,it flattens out without a putty knife
it fills very well and is cheap to create,you can pick what color you want I use a light grey.
It last a long time . Give it a try it works quite well.
For those treadheads that see this it works well for us too.

Jim if you see this can you post it on the armor I dont know how to get it there now.

If you have any questions p.m. me i"ll be happy to answer them.

Ponysoldier

The Horse The Gun The Man

lambertjr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
Ponysoldier, Thanks for the tip I'll give it a shot. I've never even heard of this technique.
BlueBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
One thing that I can think of is to check with the local chapters of the American Legion, Veteran's of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans, and other Veterans service organizations. Us Veterans and active duty people usually have a picture or two that might be able to help.
 _GOTOTOP