Hosted by Rowan Baylis
What is Trop?, as in Bf109 trop
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
some bf109 models say trop as suffix, what does this mean?
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
TROPical. They had enlarged oil cooling systems & intakes, along with some other mods to help them perform better in the heat.
m60a3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Trop means the aircraft was "Tropicalized", specifically the inclusion of special air intake filters to prevent sand and excess dust from entering the carbureator.
Martinnnn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
I guess tropical....so an adjusted version of the aircraft so it was up to the tropical environment (in case of the BF, I think it's a DAK version?)

But that's just my guess, you should wait till the experts give you the awnser

edit: two expert were also better in typing and posted already before me hehe
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
All responding eluding to the Tropicalized BF-109 having sand filters and other modifications to allow for "tropical" operation are correct. The aircraft were build primarily to function in North Africa.

As to the BF designation:
"The Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG (Aktiengesellschaft or Corporation) factory name was changed to the Messerschmitt AG in 1938 this led many to call it the Me 109, although the official Luftwaffe designation of the aircraft remained the Bf 109 throughout the war."

You may know that BMW stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke, this except for the ones made in North Carolina, there it stands for Bubba Makin' Wheels.
:-) Sorry couldn't help myself.
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 06:20 AM UTC
:-) :-) :-)
Quoted Text

except for the ones made in North Carolina, there it stands for Bubba Makin' Wheels.

:-) :-) :-)

Good one, Chuck! However I can't let that one pass without pointing out the fact that they make those in SOUTH Carolina...

BTW, Chuck, LOOOOVE the Pogo!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
Robert - Thanks and Thanks.
Damn, I always get that wrong about BMW, I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part. My Son lives in North Carolina.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC
OH....NO........ we got another North South thingy going...... :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) rolling on floor...........
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You mean BMW doesn't stand for British Small Arms???!!!!

Tom

Maybe I'm slow, but that makes absolutely no sense.

Quoted Text

"The Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG (Aktiengesellschaft or Corporation) factory name was changed to the Messerschmitt AG in 1938 this led many to call it the Me 109, although the official Luftwaffe designation of the aircraft remained the Bf 109 throughout the war."

For the foreign language impaired, Bayerische Flugzeugwerke means Bavarian Airplane Works. Similarly, Bayerische Motoren Werke means Bavarian Motor Works.

Jeff
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, do explain? is it something to do with not being American
Mal
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

some bf109 models say trop as suffix, what does this mean?

I think in German it is called "Tropenfest" and as has been pointed out, means tropicalised.

Tropicalised LW aircraft also saw service in the Mediterranean TO and possibly also in the southern regions of the USSR
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC
As I recall, JG27's Tropical Bf 109s have survival gear in the rear of the plane, including a rifle.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC
Some tropical Bf 109s had also fixings on the fuselage side below the cockpit to attach an umbrella...

Jean-Luc
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
:-) Good one Jean-Luc, I have a reference book with a photo of several 109's on the "flightline" in Africa, with their umbrellas in place to shade the cockpits.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:41 AM UTC
BMW - British Miniature Weaponry
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm slow, but that makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the foreign language impaired, Bayerische Flugzeugwerke means Bavarian Airplane Works. Similarly, Bayerische Motoren Werke means Bavarian Motor Works.

I don't see the relevance of BMW here, I'm not aware of any connection with Messerschmidt (or Bf if you must) production, the engine was a Daimler (or Mercedes) Benz surely? The BSA/BMW thing is presumably a reference to motorcycles - BSA (British Small Arms) in Birmingham were the world's largest motorcycle manufactureres pre-Honda. They went bust in 1971-2. BMW still make motorcycles, but they are not built entirely in East Berlin, by a mainly Turkish workforce (bet you didn't know that!!!).
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some tropical Bf 109s had also fixings on the fuselage side below the cockpit to attach an umbrella...

Jean-Luc

Yup, so true. Don't forget the white walled tires. :-)
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The BSA/BMW thing is presumably a reference to motorcycles - BSA (British Small Arms) in Birmingham were the world's largest motorcycle manufactureres pre-Honda.

No one spotted the deliberate mistake here - BSA of course stands for Birmingham Small Arms.

Quoted Text

BMW still make motorcycles, but they are not built entirely in East Berlin, by a mainly Turkish workforce (bet you didn't know that!!!).

This makes more sense if you substitute now for not. What was said about proofreading your posts?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Good one Jean-Luc, I have a reference book with a photo of several 109's on the "flightline" in Africa, with their umbrellas in place to shade the cockpits.

Hi all!

These umbrellas are available at least in the Academy 1/48 Me Bf 109 G6 an G14 kits. I have those two in my stash. This would make a nice addition to a diorama!

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP