_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-4F Phantom II: choices of kits and add-ons
bilk1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hello, everybody!
My brother asked me to build a F-4F of Jagdgeschwader 71 "Richthofen" for his father-in-law.
Usually I do ships, but since there is a lot of time until next X-mas, I'd like to give it a shot. Not knowing the possibilities of the wingy thingies market, please help me to set it up right. Please contact me by e-mail or via this board.
So here're the questions:
- Which kit is best to represent an early (1973-74) "Richthofen" F-4F (plastic, 1/48 or better 1/32)
- Who makes a decent Cockpit add on set, if not provided by the above kit?
- Who makes a decent payload (weapons) add on set, if not provided by the above kit?
- Who makes (other than Eduard) interior/exterior PE?
- Who makes a "Richthofen" Decal/Dry Transfer sheet for the early F-4Fs?
- Which colour coats are best to represent "Richthofen"/Nato Camouflage? Both acrylics and enamels are acceptable.

Your additional recommendations and comments are highly appreciated.
Cheers,
Guido
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hello Guido, first.... Welcome to Armorama this is a wonderful site with many frindly members. Ok, your question, For a 1/48 scale i would go with Hasegawa. Thier kits are clean, soft plastic and well engraved. For an aftermarket kit, Black Box is what i think is the best. Cheaper than Verlinden's cockpit set. For 1/32 Phantom...hands down would have to be Tamiyas F-4's. Well engraved panel lines, metal wheel struts, rubber wheels and the best part of the kit is it's one piece fusillage, no seam to fill. Again i would go with the black Box cockpit set. Nicely molded and crisp seats. Decals, well imostly by from Two Bobs decals, there are many to choose from.
http://www.twobobs.net/
http://www.blackboxkits.com/
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 06:27 AM UTC
Here's another i forgot to add..
http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/Review_Archives/Jets/F-4/F-4.htm
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/652
I can't seem to find the decals your looking for. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi Guido I would just like to welcome you to Armorama Although I'm afraid I can't really help with your question as I build WWII. If you wan't any help or advice with your project do come back and ask
Mal
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
Here are two more links, not much in the way of what your looking for but good build articles
http://hsfeatures.com/f4fda_4.htm
http://hsfeatures.com/f4fda_3.htm
Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
hey Bilk,
I asked about 1/48 phantom on the aircraft forums and they told me that Revell's 1/48 F-4E is a rebox of hasegawa's Phantom.

I dont know if you have any intrest in this scale for your project but if so its worth a look as it is supposed to go for half the price of the Hase offering and theres no doubt its the best Phantom in 1/48.
maybe Revell Germany boxed it as a F-4F or you could do the conversion yourself if you have enough reference.

hope my 0.5 new israeli shekels helped.
bilk1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hello, guys!
Thanks for the welcome and for the tips.
I'll start with reference pics, my brother's in-law will provide and check the links provided. Both Hasegawa and Tamiya should be good kits, judging from ship experience. The Revell kit should certainly be the cheapest,... well, if it's a re-boxed Hase design... I'm certainly going to double check that.
I'm certainly coming back with more questions.
Thanks again for the help.
Cheers,
Guido
bilk1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hello again, guys!
I have started to acquire books, to get clearer deail pictures of the F-4F. Does anybody have source to buy the SQ-1065 Phantom II in action ? (..European, if possible).
I think, I'll go for a 1/32 kit. There seem to be quite a few Revell kits in that scale around. At reasonable prices one might think. Are they any good?
I have read, that the Tamiya kit does have a shape problem with its one-piece fusillage, resulting in a sunk-in back and fit problems to the rear part. Anybody to confirm this?
Cheers,
Guido
seanrgb4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 04:52 PM UTC
I've never had any problems with the tamiya kit at all ,
the revell is cheaper but you get what you pay for
go with the tamiya , you can get photo etched painted cockpit parts which are awesome
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:47 PM UTC
Hi Guido

Welcome to Armorama - it's great to have you with us.

I reviewed a rather nice pair of True Details Martin Baker Mk. 7 ejection seats a while ago.

Don't forget to try to show us some pictures once you get the Phantom under way.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP