_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
F4U-1D cockpit shots online?
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC
Does anyone out there know of an online source for F4U-1D Corsair cockpit shots?
I'm getting ready to go to work on Tamiya's 1/72 kit and want to add a little more paint detail to the cockpit.

Thanks
Mike
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC
MLD, I've search for a while online for some good cockpit pics... but I haven't found any good ones. However, you still have options. I know there are a couple of good books on the corsair, with good detail shots. I recommend "F4U Corsair in Action". It's availibe from Squadron.com. Here it is
It's got about 5 good detail shots of the cockpit. 3 from an F4U - 1A and some more from another version, but I don't remember which.
I just got done adding all my PE details to the cockpit of Tamiya's 1/48th corsair. I love this kit! :-)

YodaMan
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
Here's a link for you. I used it extensively when building my corsair as the detail photos are excellent. It may not be the exact version of corsair you need but should give you a good place to start.

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/corsair.html

They have plenty of other a/c pics as well-just goto the main page (Kiwi Aircraft Images) and then click on the 'aircraft' button on the left. This will bring up a menu where you can select the a/c alphabetically. Hope this helps.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 09:28 AM UTC
Whoa, Tin! Those are some great reference shots!
Thanks for the link! I wonder why I never stumbled across that site before...
I'd better add that to my favorites list before I forget!

YodaMan
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoa, Tin! Those are some great reference shots!

Glad I could help Master Yoda. The cockpit pics really give a good sense of where everything is-not to mention their in color. While they may not be 'historically' accurate, they give a good representation in my opinion.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 02:17 PM UTC
Hi MLD,
I've found a couple of web sites that my be of some use to ya. http://www.f4ucorsair.com and http://www.corsairgathering.com/gatheringmain.htm I hope they can help ya some.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC
Penny and Bryan,
Thanks for the links. Lots of folks weighed in here and over in RMS with the Kivi Images, but the other two are new to me.
Looks like it's time to dig out the optivisor and the teeeny tinnny paintbrushes or toothpicks.

mike
 _GOTOTOP