_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Avro Arrow Paint and display base questions
rfeehan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
Ok all 6 of the aircraft were gloss white that parts easy. I what I am stuck on is the red/orange used on some of them? Was it red or orange? I am looking for a good acrylic paint formula so I can mix up some if there is no out of bottle color for it. The box art and my books show red but I want to ge this thing right.

Another question for the aircraft modelers is I want to show this arrow with the wheels up and I am stuck on how to build a suitable display base for that. I have both the older 1/72 and 1/48th scale kits and the newer retooled (at least I think it was) 1/48th and its a BIG plane so the base needs to be a good sized piece of wood with some weight to it. Any suggestions on building a nice base for this?

90% of my modeling is armor so I am a novice with aircraft.

Rob
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:00 AM UTC
The Aircraft in profile feature in Januarys Scale Aircraft Modelling is on the CF-101 Voodoo. Although it's not the aircraft you are talking about all markings are in red. It would seem odd for a Canadian Aerobatic display team to sport orange markings? The red is the same as the red on the Canadian national flag. I don't know in fact but I would estimate that Humbrols gloss red G19? would be a good match. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm sure one of the Canadians here can shed some light on this.
It depends on who or what the model is for, but you could paint the base as the Canadian flag. Leave a space for information about the model and/or the aircraft it depics. This can be produce on overhead projector film and spray mounted to the space left, that can be painted any colour you like. I have a picture somewhere of a hurricane with that sort of plaque, I'll find it and post it here so you can see what I'm talking about. The base would probably need to be about as big as the outside dimensions of the model. The model can be supported on acrylic rod, one for each engine,fixed into one end of the base, angled away, then bent back until parallel with the base. One into each engine exhaust. It would look quite cool if you painted the acrylic rod as the jet eflux, along the parallel part. Hope that makes sense. I would make the base out of MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard). You can easily add some pictur framing to finish it off.
Have fun
Mal
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:15 PM UTC
The red/orange is not the same as what is in the Canadian Flag....when the Avro Arrow was built, we didn't have the same flag as we do now.

Also neither the CF-101Voodoo, nor the CF-105 Arrow was ever our aircraft for our National Aerobatic Team. We have used the CT-141 Tutor for a number of years, since the Snowbirds were first formed I beleive, they have only flown the Tutor. Before that we had a team called the Golden something or other, that flew F-86s.

Now as far as the Avro Arrow was concerned, the orange was more of what you would call a day glo orange, sort of red, sort of orange. The point is, it was painted on the aircraft so that it could easily be seen from the ground and from the chase aircraft. Try finding an all white aircraft against a blue sky even without clouds, never mind if you have some nice puffy white clouds to break it all up for you.

However not all of the Arrow models had the orange on them, some were a solid white, with some lines on them, like what comes on the decal sheet. For example, Arrow 201 was solid white on its roll out and on its maiden flight.

Here you can see RL201 and RL202 lined up, both solid white:

Here is RL203 with its orange/red, its an old picture, so its hard to tell just what the hue really is, but from what I have read, it was called Day Glo Orange.

Here is RL204, with the orange, however you notice there is not as much red on the tail.

Now here is a picture of the destruction of the Arrow, starting from the bottom is RL202, RL203, RL204, and RL205, and as you can see the paint scheme is the same on them all....so obvioulsy at one time RL202 had the orange added, and RL204 had the rest of its tail painted. I believe from the the time this picture was taken, RL201 was already dismantled, and RL206 was fueled and on the hot ramp ready for its trials as the first Arrow with the Iroquois engines....the one that CBC would have you believe got away.

Some good sites on the Arrow:

Discovery Channel on the Avro Arrow

Avro Recovery Canada

Arrow Alliance

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 10:03 PM UTC
Sorry Scott, I didn't know that the Canadian flag had changed and it seems it was I who suggested that these aircraft were from the Aerobatic team. I think "display" in the thread title got me confused Not the best excuse I know Will old age do?
OK the red colour sounds like it might be "International Orange" FS12197. This is actually more red than orange and is the colour used by the US (I assume) on aircraft based in snow covered areas. Hannants do this colour in their Xtracolor range X104.
Rob, if you decide to go with X104 then give me a shout so I can give you the low down on Xtracolor paints (important) Of course you may be able to find the colour in your usual range of paints
Mal
rfeehan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 06:49 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I think I will probably end up doing 201 on her maiden flight. I want to do a wheels up display so I have to come up with a nice display base and that means a mounting system of some sort on the inside of the aircraft. This is one huge plane in 48th so I am worried about supporting it. on a base.

viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
No problem Holdfast.....I sometimes feel like I am coming down with Alzhiemers some days as I can barely remember my name sometimes!!! LOL

Rfeehan,

Normally I would say that if you were doing the 1/72 scale, that you could drill out engine exhaust and insert a small metal rod, glue the other end into your base. However, you are doing the 1/48, I have the old boxing of the Hobbycraft kit as well, and I know that it is a very large beast, heck I have 2 in 1/72, and they are pretty big for that scale.

But with the 1/48, if you were to go the engine method....you would need a fairly large metal rod, which would end up being too hard to bend, and all the weight of the AC would be on that bend.

You could get a clear acrylic rod, drill a hole at about the rear of the weapons bay which should be about the center of gravity, insert the rod and glue it with some epoxy, and then put the other end in your display, securing it with epoxy as well.
 _GOTOTOP