_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Magic Flight
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi guys. I have just bought a Revell "Magic Flight" F18 off eBay for £5. I wondered could I use the magic flight system to put any old model in suspended flight? I want to try a Mosquito. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone built a "Magic Flight" kit?
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 09:16 PM UTC
What no-one has any thoughts on this? I don't believe it, maybe it's due to the outage?

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi Shaun, hows the chopper :-)
Never built one of these but the concept is intreaguing. I don't know but I'm guessing that the system uses opposing magnets and is teathered to a base? I would assume therefor that, if the magnet in the model is seperate, or can be removed, you will be able to fix it into another model. The weight of the new model might render the syatem inoperable, but it would be interesting to see :-) You could always try some weight saving measures, like dumping the big old winchman...............errr navigator :-) out of the mossi.
Yeah couldn't get on the site all day yesterday, seems like to many people have heard about us :-)
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi Shaun,

I once looked into trying the magnet principle on a 1/48 hurricane but the problem was the weight. I couldn't find magnets small enough to fit in the wings and fuselage yet strong enough to support the weight of the plane with them in.

I'm sure it would be possible with the right type of magnets though.
Invader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:28 PM UTC
excuse me for being such a moron,but what is a magic flight? (sounds like a drug of some sort )
Victory
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
The most powerful magnets you can lay your hands on reside inside a computer hard drive ( my day job is pc techie ).

Just grab a scrap hard drive and open it up. Be careful when removing the magnets, they are so powerful that they may clickback together and nip you.

If you don't have a scrap hard drive - just ask at your nearest computer shop, they will have plenty.

If you are anywhere near Morecambe, Lancashire you can collect as many as you like from me.

I would like to see this Revell Magic - let us know if it works.

see ya,
Vince
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi guys, sorry for the delay in replying (work ) The system seems to be small magnets with fine tethers. The kit is only 1/144th so I may use it to get more ideas. Thanks for the offer of magnets, but I should be able to get some from work. As for the chopper, now there's an idea!!

_GOTOTOP