_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What era?
RufusLeeking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:46 AM UTC
What era of model aircraft do you like to build? I build mostly WWII and Korean war aircraft, some Vietnam era and a little modern aircraft. My favorite subjects are WWII naval aircraft, F4 phantoms and jet aircraft of the 50s. I build mostly 1/72 scale and a couple of kits in 1/48th.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC
My favorite is American atomic ordnance from the 1950's and 1960's. There's nothing available, so modeling specific vehicles takes a long time and calls for some scratchbuilding and heavy research. My second favorite is Vietnam-era gun trucks. Only within the last couple of years did I get into American WW II - American modern being my former favorite.

I love Sci-Fi too - but there's not really an era associated with it. I gravitate towards the classics - like Lost In Space, Space:1999 and Star Trek, and the contemporary Star Wars. Not much into the recent Trek offerings. Love anime Sci-Fi too, but outside of a spattering of Macross and Gundam - the really outrageous armor related items haven't been kitted.

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:06 AM UTC
The only sci-fi kit I ever built was Darth Vader's tie fighter, that was more than 20 years ago. My model building has been on and off, on & off since the 70's. I have no finshed models or displays from any of my on periods. (Gave most of them away) My last building period was about 4 years ago, and I built a couple N.A.K. vehicles, until this fall I haven't built a thing. The house I live in now does not have space yet to display aircraft models, so I've been building armor kits and really having fun again. I keep my finished models in my wine cellar, it has a lock on the door, keeps the kids and the cats paws off them.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:08 AM UTC
I like all eras. When I started modelling I had a foolish notion of wanting to model -every- A/C there ever was...needless to say I didn't get far.

I like 1/72 the best, cause I guess I just like painting and you can make a B-52 and still keep it in your rooom!!
RufusLeeking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:52 AM UTC
I remember building WWII aircraft and had almost every US naval aircraft built, every I.J.N. aircraft, plus a good mix of ETO aircraft. I remember wanting to build a F14A Tomcat, and I told myself now wait you still haven't finished all your WWII kits. Then I thought "so what" and built 2 F14A's and a F8 Crusader. So since then if it looks like a fun kit to build I buy it. One month it might be a M4 Sherman, the next a F4J Phantom, and the next Tamiya's McLaren Honda.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC
Ron - I think you have the right idea - you're having fun and building what 'cha want...

Gunnie
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
Gunnie,

Problem I have is I get interested in a subject, buy one and get interested in something else, buy that etc., etc. I never get anything done!!!
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
You're singing to the choir here! :-) Now, I found this forum and it's really cutting into the model time

Gunnie
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Problem I have is I get interested in a subject, buy one and get interested in something else, buy that etc., etc. I never get anything done!!!

Brian,

we all suffer from that disease....... LOL
It's the advanced stages of Plasticulosis.
Chappy_ju87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 12:42 AM UTC
Yeah I know the Plasticulosis well....very disabling disease, causes you to hide out in your basement for days at a time and spend lots of money and time on e-bay....I have had the disease for sometime now and I think I have acquired the advanced symptoms now....
RufusLeeking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
Yep if I had an endless supply of money, my workshop would look like across between Tankbuster's and Norm Abrams. Every kit that I liked I'd buy three, no make that four. One to practice on, one to screwup, and one to complete and a backup.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
Chappy_ju87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:06 PM UTC
Rufus, I see you are a fellow Buckeye.....greetings from the North Coast (Lorain)
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep if I had an endless supply of money, my workshop would look like across between Tankbuster's and Norm Abrams. Every kit that I liked I'd buy three, no make that four. One to practice on, one to screwup, and one to complete and a backup.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh

I'd get my own set up and make what I want (maybe what you guys would want too) :-)
RufusLeeking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Chappy, you'll love this site. Maybe you could hook me up with some good hobby shops on the north coast. There is nothing in Bula, I buy mostly online, but sometimes you need to kick the tires.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hey guys,
I also like to build F4- Phantoms. I also like F4U Corsairs, Spitfires, P-38's and Bf109's. I try to do a variety of models, but I keep coming back to aircraft. I was always told that "If you don't enjoy the hobby anymore-- get out of it for a while." I have been very lucky. I've loved this hobby when I started and I love it even more today.
RufusLeeking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 01:02 PM UTC
Welcome Lady what scale do you build in? I've built aircraft models for years, but lately because of lack of space, (I keep my displays in my wine cellar) I've been building armor kits. I don't know much about armor but the folks here have been really helpful.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
A very warm welcome ladymodeler to the best armour site onthe web. :-)

Tread.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I build 1/48, 1/72, and 1/144 scale aircraft. I also do figures and want to do more armor.
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC
Ladymodelbuilder : A question that has been burning on my lips,
how does a lady end up in modelling???
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:56 AM UTC
Well, I guess being a "Tom boy" plays a little part in it. I watched my brother build them. He would let me cut the pieces off the sprue for him. He would tell me the number, and I'd cut.
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC
Thanks for answering the question
There are too few women in this hobby. We need more, just to keep us men in check LOL.
Anyway, I have about the same taste in modelling. I build a lot of 1/48 and 1/72 aircraft, 1/35 armor and occasionally a car (I like Ferraris ).
I also build sci-fi (Star Wars and Star Trek).
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
I have built one Sci-Fi kit. It was a Polar lights Robby the Robot. I built it for my Sister-in-law. Its the Robby from the TV series.
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
Those kits are hard to come by here in Holland. So are a lot of other smaller or specialty manufacturers. Kits from the former Eastern block are fairly well distributed here, but the rest is hard to get or horribly expensive.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
I'd like to go to Holland sometime to see all the Tulips. I bet you're sick of them, huh.
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Not sick, but there's a lot more to see here in Holland than that.
But if you want to see them you should come in May, then those fields are really beautiful.
 _GOTOTOP