Digital Tempest.
jetprovost
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Okay,
Mal Mayfield (Holdfast) has been trying to persuade me to post something on here for a while, so after his expert guidance, here goes.
This project started out as a straight-forward, out of the box build using the 1/72 Smer (ex-Heller) Hawker Tempest. It all went pretty well up until the final touches when I managed to snap one of the Undercarriage legs. Doh!
Well the kit got shelved for a while until I got myself in the mood to try and repair it. When that day came I prepared my work area, tools at the ready, picked up the Tempest.......and then proceded to drop it. As I wiped the tears away I checked out the damage which somehow wasn't too bad, apart from a major crack down one wing root, which had in turn ejected the thin line of filler that had been there.
As the model was preparing for a three point landing (make that a two point landing with the missing U/C leg) into the nearest bin, I had an idea.
I had been wanting to take a photo and try out some digital manipulation on my computer. Here was the perfect opportunity.
So camera in hand I rushed outside, snapped off some pictures and for the next couple of hours sat glued to my PC getting creative.
Now I know they're pretty basic pictures and in my head I've got some great ones I'd like to create but until that happens I'd like to share with you my first digi-pics (and my first post. Phew, glad that's done!)

J.P.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 08:07 AM UTC
Great stuff Harri and about time too :-)
The black and white pic looks almost real, mind you the colour one aint bad either. Not bad for a first topic started, I told you it was easy No excuses now.
Chuff Chuff
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hi Harri

Bloomin' Heck! I think this warrants a "How To..." Feature!

Welcome aboard and forget what Mal said ... there's so much that's tasty in the colour pic! Motion-blur on the Fw 190, prop-blur and cannon-blast (no spent casings or links?) on the Tempest!

Wow! I think we deserve to know more!

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:09 PM UTC
Outstanding Harri.The black and white pic looks real. Like a pic from an aircraft manual. The glint on the windscreen looks just like the sun hitting it. Great work, Wingman out.
jetprovost
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys. I would love to do a 'how to..' feature, Rowan, so the next picture I create I'll hopefully put something together. I actually did have a go at the spent cases but wasn't altogether happy with them. Maybe next time.

Cheers,

Harri.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC
Welcome Harri, nice work....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would love to do a 'how to..' feature, ... so the next picture I create I'll hopefully put something together.

Nice one Harri

We'll hold you to that! Seriously, previous items about digital compositing have proved hugely popular, so it'd be great to learn more about you go about creating such outstanding pictures.

All the best

Rowan
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:06 PM UTC
Truly superb...
looks great.

Love the prop blur.
Love to see more like this.

Cheers
Peter

:-)
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:07 PM UTC
Truly superb...
looks great.

Love the prop blur.
Love to see more like this....hint...hint...Harri.

Cheers
Peter

:-)
 _GOTOTOP