_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Masking for a soft camoflage edge
lopper99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
What is your method for masking to get a soft camoflage edge? I have used Blu tac (poster gum) and airbrushed perpindicular to the surface. This has worked well. But is there an easier way? if you use tape or paper type masks how do you space it from the surface to get the effect? If this question is a common modeling technique that I’m not aware of then call me a dummy. Your responses are appreciated. This is similar to a post I put on another forum. So if you have read this a second time , please accept my apology.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:33 AM UTC
I use pieces of clean,lint-free cloth such as new mechanics rags(red) or old T-shirt(again,the key is CLEAN). Cut ,fold,and twist to suit.Suggest practice on your paint range hulk first to get an idea of what the possibilities are.This is not a wham-bam process but it does look like a 1/35 human of average art talent did the shooting. :-)
practice,practice,practice
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hey Lopper- Give this method a try-
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/448

Just don't cut the mask edges sharp(get em close then tear the edges) and leave the mask lifted slightly(2-4cm). Shoot across the mask, into the center of your camo color. Takes some practice, but works well.
HTH
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 05:07 AM UTC
I don't generally mask for soft edge camoflage, prefering to do it free hand. I have on occasions used masking, when my airbrush has been playing up. If I do I have found that Blue Tack works well. My Helldiver was masked in this way, between the 2 blues.

I like to have a little more control over the Blue Tack . So, instead of rolling sausages of it between my hands, I roll it between 2 pieces of board. This give a uniform edge, rather than a wavy one, from rolling between the hands. This is laid on the model, backed up with low tack tape and, as you say spray perpindicular to it. The more over spray you want the larger the diameter of the Blue Tack should be.

Mal
Name_1s_MUD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 226 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 07:45 AM UTC
I've heard silly putty is good. Does anyone know if silly putty has the tendency to react bad with Acrylics (or enamels for that matter)? Problem is that ya have to buy several of those silly putty eggs to cover anything big... maybe 5 of them to do that big 1/32 Sukhoi!
 _GOTOTOP