_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Cobra OIF Question
tom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
I got a 1/35 apache and I seen a program on the military channel about the cobras and was inspired by what there capable of doing and how there used like the old Huey's gunship in Nam were.

They say there used in Afgan and Irag, I would like to get a 1/35 cobra from my LHS.What is the correct version because there are so many.

Some reference material if anyone can provide it would be great. I am pretty new to aircraft and I tried a Black Hawk awhile back and got scared away from that because it was complex but fun. I think I have grown in my skills since I joined this site so I feel more confortable doing complex stuff now.

Would the cobra be a good start to helo's instead of the black hawk because it's smaller or should I jump right in to a black hawk.

Happy Modeling
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 02:19 PM UTC
Tom,
The current model Cobra used by USMC in Iraq is the W model. The Academy/MRC/Italeri 1/35 AH-1W is a good kit to represent a modern W. To get the latest versiopn, combine it with the Cobra Company AH-1W NTS upgrade set. Current colors are Light Gull Gray/Dark Gull Gray two-tone camo. Here is a photo of one:

As for the Blackhawk, i would go for it as well. It is not that hard to do, just a lot of plastic. If you can do the Cobra, you can do the UH-60L.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC
The only difference with the Black Hawk would be an interior as well as the cockpit. But you can do it. Like Gino said, go with the Whiskey. To my knowledge, the only Cobras the Marines use are Ws. The only other operational version is the Army's National Guard AH-1F (I take that back, as they retired last year or the year before). There is also another Cobra coming out for the Marines. That is the AH-1Z 'Zulu'. It is still in testing though.

Jeff
tom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
I was going to see if they had a black hawk on clearence some where or on ebay for a good price.

But I will most likely get the Cobra Company AH-1W NTS upgrade set.

Then if that goes well I'll try the black hawk again. One of the reasons I stop it was because of the troop compartment was a SOB. I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks HeavyArty again your overwhelming me with your ever growing knowledge. The pic is great.

USNavy2534 thanks for the vote of confidence again this site has made me become a better more confident modeler.

Happy Modeling
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:11 PM UTC
Hey Tom, you want to build a Cobra..yeah nice helicopter to build. Well for starters i would go with the 1/35 scale AH-1W Cobra from either Italerl no# 381 or Academy no# 2193. Both are the same kits. Verlinden and Cobra Co. have resin cockpit's. For the decals Twobob's decals are the best, and they have decals for the cobras used in Iraq and Afgan. Here are a few links that may inspire you a little more.
http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/Fea1/701-800/Fea784_Cobra_Taylor/fea784.htm
http://www.cobracompany.com/35th_scale_models.htm
http://www.hkngallery.org.uk/hkngallery.nsf/0/19ba5b973d1481d080256f17001fe76c?OpenDocument
http://www.features02.kitparade.com/ah1whj_1.htm
Here's the decals
http://www.twobobs.net/index.html?target=p_114.html&lang=en-us
hope this points you in the direction you want to go.
commandosolo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hello Tom.

I have been modelling for about ten years. My first large scale helo was an 1/35 academy UH-1C Heavy Hog. I built it when i was pretty young and i had no problems at with it at all. very nice kit. since then i have built a 1/35 pave hawk and a 1/35 Blackhawk DAP. i didn't see any difference in difficulty between the huey and hawk. The only flaw in the black hawks which is the same in all of their hawk models is that where the rotor hub is seated into the top of the fuselage, the struts sometimes get stuck on the edge of the opening and creek). As you said, you haven't modelled that many helo's. so i would suggest something simple like a Huey or as you suggested a Cobra. if you have built an Apache then you should have no probs with any other helo's like the blackhawks etc.

Commandoslo.

_GOTOTOP