_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Money to spend!!!!
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC
I have about $500CDN to spend on some kits in the next month. Lucky, eh? I'm interested in primarily 1:48 and 1:32 scale and the type of aircraft really doesn't matter too much to me, though I do prefer aircraft flown by the RCAF, but don't limit yourselves to that.
I'd love to hear what you guys think are the best kits to get and what aftermarket parts are out there for them.
Thanks in advance.
Hoovie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:59 PM UTC
Academy Hornet sould be first!!
Best price should be Lucky Model (Hong Kong) VS
GMW where I buy most stuff!
Why the weapons and decals for them!
They are kits in also!!
500 bucks can go real quick and don't forget
a BlackBox or Cutting edge pitt!
What next Canuck fighter???
HTH
Ron Hoover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 07:59 AM UTC
iam buildign the old b-17g flying fortress from revell, the cheapest one they have made, for 30 can id seriously consider buying it, the kit looks great so far and the fuselage fits perfeactly, i wrote a review about it, so you might want to check it out

also, walmart sells a testor 1/48 f-18 with canadien markings! lol, might want to check it out, its only 12 bucks or so and its pretty good for the price

Frank
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
you mean the 1/.48 b-17 form revell? I got it when i was like 9 so of course i could not do it. WARNING: IT HAS RAISED PANEL LINES!!! Recently i just put the fusalage together and the wings (no deatails or back-wings cos i lost all the details). it is now my test plane for camo patterns ect...
you are really lucky Augie. I would get loads of paint so i dont have to keep going back to the store to get more or a diffrent colour.

cheers

Philip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
what do you mean by raised panel lines?

Frank
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi Doug and boy am I jealous.. you lucky guy you

Depending on how difficult a skill level you want to go for I highly recommend the Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 Zero.
It is a fantastic kit with exceptional details and working parts such as flaps and folding landing gear.
Those working parts sure can get a little tricky but if you take your time and test fit things it sure is a lot of fun. If I can build it I am sure you probably can too.

The kit is a little pricey tho. If you buy it from an actual dealer it could cost you anywhere from 80 to 100 dollars. But...look on eBay. I got mine 'buy it now' for about 65 dollars.
If you do happen to go for the Zero, get also the Eduard photo etch set for the engine. The engine in the kit is really nice but the photo etch adds SO much cool detailing. I didn't get the PE set for the cockpit or exterior because all of that is so well done in the kit all ready. But you could always get that too if you really wanted to super detail it up.
Look in my gallery. I have some shots of the 1/32nd Zero and the engine with the PE detailing. If the gallery pops up for you the same way it does for me the very first two pics are a 1/48th Zero and all the rest of the Zero pics are the 1/32nd kit. Also be sure to go to the third page of my gallery. There are some close up shots of the cokpit interior and the engine.
I don't know about Squadron.com but I gut the PE set from Roll Models at a really good price.

Good luck in your quest and Good Modeling,
Wayne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:38 AM UTC
or if you dont find anything you wanna model you can always make a donation to my wallet

if you want a helicopter, the academy hueys are cheap in price but good in quality, theres an in-box review of one, also the revell apache is pretty big and nice but a little more expensive, around 50 bucks

check this site out

heard there good, its in canada and free shipping with orders over 50 bucks, and rigth now there givign away this weathering agent with orders over 75$ if i think of anymore il post

Frank
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 07:23 PM UTC
You ain't going to believe this guys, there's ANOTHER $500 that I get to spend on top of the other amount! Suess I have a bit of checking out of alot of sites to find the best that I can get.
And sorry, all the money is for my little lonesome here and won't be going into anyone else's wallet! :-) (I can be so greedy sometimes!)

(Not to worry, there is some that will be going to the tsumani victims in Asia.)
 _GOTOTOP