Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Me163B Komet with Scratchbuilt HW Rocket
archerwin15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:28 PM UTC
hello! just want to share some pics of my latest work. this is the academy kit. The HW rocket engine is scratchbuilt.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 05:14 AM UTC
Superb, a very nice scratch built rocket motor, Thank you for sharing. Where did you get the plans for it?
I am currently building a 1/48 scale version of the Me 163. Doing a bit of research recently I discovered that the T-Stoff and C-Stoff tanks are actually in the cockpit. For those that maybe don't know, these 2 chemicals, when mixed together will explode. They were obviousley brought together in a controlled way, by the motor that archerwin15 has neatly scratchbuilt. Imagine sitting in a cockpit with a tank full of one of these chemicals either side of you.
Mal
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC
I think the tanks in the cockpit were the C-Stoff ones (hydrazine hydrate). These were either side of the pilot and some of the instruments were on top of the tanks. There was a T-Stoff (hydrogen peroxide) tank immediately behind the pilot and a further C-Stoff tank behind that.

Fuelling the aircraft involved great car as there would be a massive explosion if the fuels were allowed in contact with each other. One photo I have seen shows a technician looking at a small layer of ash on the hardstanding - this was an Me 163 that had been incorrectly fuelled!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
Thanks for that Ian, what I had was purely from looking at pics and captions. Can you tell me were you got the info?
Mal
archerwin15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
go to these website for all your Komet needs:
Komet website: http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/me163.htm

Rocket engine with plans: http://www.walter-rockets.i12.com/walter/walter.htm
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 01:54 AM UTC
Wow, thats detail, I gotta hand it to the 1/72 scale modelers..Get out those tweezers..

I struggle every time in 1/72
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 97 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
The bulk of my information came from the old Ballantine series and was called "Rocket Fighter". Another source was "Komet - The Messerschmitt Me 163" - unfortunately in both cases I cannot recall the author.

I have had an interest in this aircraft for over 20 years, ever since I saw a color drawing of one in a book on air warfare. Before then, the only "modern" LW aircraft I'd heard of had been the Me 262, having built the old Airfix one when I was about 5 - and glued the engines on back to front.

The Hasegawa 1/32 scale kit of the Komet features a rocket motor which super detailers could really go to towwn on but I am very impressed by your 1/72 example.

The Me 163 website mentioned below is a good source of data and pictures.
 _GOTOTOP