_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Zero and Corsair for the Gallery.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 03:16 AM UTC
OK, as there have been no more takers, there has been a draw, between the Zero and the Corsair, of pictures members are willing to submit for inclusion in the permenant aircraft gallery.
So If you have a Zero or Corsair in your collection post a picture here. Remember to include relavent details, such as the manufacturer, paints, decals used and any modification, aftermarket goodies, or enhancements used.
Post only THREE pictures, the best you have. This is for judging purposes. These pictures should be "clutter" free, ie, not taken on a workbench full of tools etc. The model can be on a base. If you only have pictures that are not clutter free, then feel free to post them, but for the gallery we will require pictures without clutter.
To kick off here is my Corsair. This is already in the Gallery, and will not be in the final judging. I am posting it here just to kick things off. I have another Corsair and a Zero which I don't have pics for, yet, which I will post when I do.
Lets go

Built out of the box, painted with Xtracolor paints, markings are from Aeromaster. The only additions are etched seat belts and antenna wires from invisible mending thread. The only enhancement was replacing the moulded tie down shackle, on the tail wheel assembly with wire.
Mal
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 04:14 AM UTC
hi,
Here are some pics of my corsair

It's tamiya's Corsair 1D
painted with tamiya rattle cans,no extra's

cheerz Q!
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi guys. Here is my bent wing bird.. It's Tamiyas Cosair. I used a detail set from KMC for the cockpit. I added some detail to the engine with bits of plastic and fine wire. I also added some hoses and other detail to the wingfold area. I used ModelMaster paints and Superscale decals. Wingman out.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hi all,
Just a first quick question. Are we allowed only one entry per person? I could enter pics for the Zero and the Corsair if allowed.

Here is my entry for the Zero.
This is the Tamiya 1/32nd A6M5 Zero. It was painted with Model Master enamels. The main insignias were all airbrushed. The rest of the details were the kit decals. I also used an Eduard Photo Etch detail set for the engine.

Good Modeling,
Wayne

Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 02:10 PM UTC
Mal..I just thought of a question I should have asked before I posted my pics...sorry.
Was I supposed to put these pics in my personal gallery and then link to them here for the thread? Or does the location of the pics really matter?
If they need to be in my gallery then I will fix that after you let me know.

Thanks and Good Modeling,
Wayne
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a first quick question. Are we allowed only one entry per person? I could enter pics for the Zero and the Corsair if allowed.

Yes post pics of a Corsair if you have them, There is no competition, as such. This is an excercise in getting more pictures for the permenant gallery. You could just submit pics, like the Lancaster that is in the forum now. Members seem reluctant to do this so I thought I would try and get some pics together. Members also seem reluctant to even post here, so the more the merrier. The idea of getting members to vote for their favourite is to get them more involved.

Quoted Text

Was I supposed to put these pics in my personal gallery and then link to them here for the thread? Or does the location of the pics really matter?

No, it dosen't matter. At the moment I would just like as many pictures of Corsair and Zero models posted here as possible. We will then try a vote, fingers crossed. Those selected will be asked to supply pics for the gallery, probably a minimum of 5. I'll put up some guidelines nearer the time. Pics posted so far are, in the main, exceptable.
I still have my other Corsair and a Zero to post but they both require antenna wires and I won't have the time to take pics until the weekend. So there is still plenty of time to post pics, this thread will probably stay open until the week after that anyway, as I'm going to have a look in the members galleries for more Corsairs and Zeros.
Mal
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 12:16 PM UTC
Excellent Mal. It's always fun to share pics.
Right now I only have two really good shots of my corsair so I'll go ahead and post those too.

This is the Tamiya 1/48th F4U Birdcage Corsair painted with model master enamels. Decals are all stock decals from the kit and I used an Eduard photo etch set for the cockpit interior. I will try and see if I can get a really good shot into the cockpit and post that along with these pics here before time runs out on the thread.

Good Modeling all,
Wayne

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 02:57 AM UTC
Well for what it is worth, here is my Corsair. It was one of the 1st that I did upon returning to the hobby a little over a year ago. I remember being so proud of it at the time, but now I see tons of problems and have it more as an indicator of my growth.

Anyway, it is the 1/48 Tamiya F4u-1/2 painted with model master enamels. The decals were oob (I didn't know any better at the time) and the only thing added to the kit was my attempt at masking tape seatbelts inside (not a good attempt, though :-) )

Leon

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:07 AM UTC
Next up is my Zero. Also not great, but better I hope. It is the 1/48 Tamiya A6M5c kit painted with Tamiya acrylics. The only decals I used were the marking on the tail, propeller, and legs, otherwise I painted everything. The hinoras (sp?) seem to show up well from some angles and not from others - maybe it was the shade of red I used to paint them on with. I used some of the eduard zoom pe set for the cockpit, but got frustrated with my fumbly hands and didn't use any of the exterior parts.

Leon

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 06:11 AM UTC
Very nice Leon, what red did you use for the Hinomaru? I'm planning to paint the markings on my N1K1 Kyofu and I haven't been able to find out the correct shade. Yours looks pretty good.
Well here are my F4U1a Corsair and A6M2 Zero They were both built a long time ago and were some of the first 1/48 scale aircraft kits I built.
F4U1a Corsair:
It is the Airfix boxing of the ARII kit, not a bad kit at all, if a little basic. Not a patch on the far newer Tamiya kits but it has recessed panel lines. I replaced the cockpit with the Airwaves PE. This was also my first PE experience. It was painted with Xtracolor enamels, about the first time I used these as well. Decals were Aeromaster, I think, I remember that the kit decals were a much lighter blue. I think it was weathered using artist watercolours.

A6M2 Zero
The Hasegawa Zero again built a long time ago OOB, no aftermarket stuff at all. Paint was Humbrol and the decals are from the kit. I don't remember how I weathered this, but it's obvious why I'm looking for a better way of achieving heavy weathering on Japanese aircraft.

Mal
Monte
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Wow! Those are some great planes. Great job to all of you.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
Oops, sorry guys, I've been a bit slack here. I haven't forgotten about these or the Thunderbolt pics. I thought it would be prudent to wait until the model of the month is finalised so that punters don't get confused. We will be voting on these after Merlin gets back and the votes are all in and counted on the MOM.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:39 AM UTC
For those that have been wondering what happened to this, well I hadn't forgotten, but with the voting for the "model of the month" taking place I didn't want this to get in the way. With the "model of the month" having started I think I will "aquire" models for the gallery in a slightly different way than this idea. Unless of course you want to vote for gallery models as well as model of the month? I'm not sure weather the system can fit it in?
I'll give you time to consider this before carrying on
The Thunderbolt gallery pics will be sorted as well.
Mal
Jaster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 02:13 PM UTC
WOW!

Call me inspired. Haven't built an aircraft for 20+ years...now I'm gonna. I love the Corsair, and am seriously motivated.

Now how to schedule it in to the Campaigns I am in and work it around "life".

Absolutely beautiful work by all.

Jim
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
With the advent of the Model of the Month this idea as well as the original one of the Thunderbolts, has sort of taken a nose dive. These models should therefor be entered into one of the monthly shows. Sorry for the cock up but it appears members like the MOM idea better so we are using that to promote the display of models. Thanks to those who put these models on show, please leave them in your gallery I would like to do something for the gallery anyway.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP