_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Modelling goals for 2005? & new articles?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
I don't normally set myself goals, in my modelling, but last year I was determind to do more twin engined stuff and a 4 engined heavy. I didn't really achieve that, but I do have things in progress, apart from the Heavy. This year I wanted to do a heavily weathered Japanese plane and do more twins, I was therefor going to start my Betty bomber. However I also want to have a go at putting a float plane on water. So my goals for this year, apart from finishing my on-line builds (I will be adding more), are; to do a 4 engined heavy bomber (Monogram B-24, I hope to start re-scribing it this week end). The Tamiya Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 float plane (well weathered and in a simple dio' with it on water). To do this properly I will have to paint on the markings, this is one of my other goals. When I can crack this I will build my Tamiya Betty. Finish alot more of the models I have started. I do have another goal but I'm waiting for confirmation on something first. Watch this space. What are your modelling goals?

One other thing I would like to do is a series of articles, aimed at the novice. I have spoken to Dave O'Meara (Grumpyoldman) and he has a similar Idea. These articles will cover, hopefully, the basics right up to the more complicated stuff. If you are a novice (that can mean whatever you want it to) and there is something you would like to see an article on then let me know, here or in a PM. The first intended article would be something like kit instructions?

Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hi Mal. As for my goals for 2005. I'm going to finish my Wolfpack dio in time for the show and contest in Harrisburg Pennsylvania on April 2nd.Then I will start working on a P-47 for my dad for his birthday[April 1st]. After that I really don't know yet. I might start Hasegawas Hawker Typhoon in 1/48 scale, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi Mal

My first goal is to try to find the time to do actually some modelling! Just joking!... Ohh, hang on ! No I wasn't...

Anyway... my Big Plans for 2005 are:

The Maryland Sisters - the 1/48 scale Koster vacuform and its FM injected "off-spring" in a double build. Whether I finish them this year is anyone's guess!

On the back of that - a Beginner's Guide to Vacuforms. I wrote it and took the pics while I was away at Christmas. Once I've tackled the Features backlog, I'll have a bash at doing my own stuff.

I'm also going to do a P-40 build - I don't want to give too much away, but a "certain" manufacturer has supplied exclusive information direct from the WW2 pilot for a truly awesome paint job! Some of our Site-Supporters are contributing to what will be a Feature Build but, as Monty Python would say... "Say no more! Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink!"....

And... a Gloster Gladiator! I promised I'd use the superb True Details set... so I will!

No Campaigns in that lot! I learned my lesson with Project X - I can't both edit and keep to modelling deadlines. So - plenty to look forward to... and hopefully a little to keep you intrigued! !

All the best

Rowan
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
My goal is to build at least one aircraft this year.
I have no idea which one of the stack in the closet, but at least one will appear here.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:48 AM UTC
Well I have to make an effort to get building on my stash ( to reduce it that is) . I figure I've only got another 15 to 20 years left in me to build what I have on hand, I only finished 10 last years, and at that rate I won't get it done.

EDIT - And everyone of them showed up here, at least in a Post. The other 5 I started are still waiting for me to get over Builders Block.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
I really only have one goal for this year, and it seems to be a VERY hard one for me. I only want to build kits that I alread have. When I started this hobby a little more than a year ago, I told myself I would only have the kit I was working on and maybe the next one. Well now I have about 15 in the stash and I want to shrink it down some and not add to it.

I look forward to the beginner / novice articles. I have a few builds under my belt, but still love reading the 'beginner' stuff to see what I am doing wrong and try to fix the bad habits. One I would love to see besides basic construction (gluing and then getting rid of all joint lines) is one on easy ways or the best ways to get rid of molding lines, sink holes, ejector marks on the hard to reach places.

Thanks,
Leon
That-Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 02:24 PM UTC
Mine is to complete my dio before March and to go back to building aircraft. I would also like to build at least 2 more dios by the end of the year.

TGY
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 02:31 AM UTC
My plan is to knock out a few kits. Got way too many sitting in the "to build" pile.

Specifically -

* I want to do one of my awaiting props (B17, B24, P51, P47, etc) in a bare metal finish.

* Plan to implement some aftermarket stuff. I just used True Detail wheels on my in-progress P-51D and they're quite nice. I'm really eyeballing the Eduard P-61 updates as I just love the Black Widow.

* Plan to do an F-14 in the Jolly Rogers markings. Got the kit, got the decals, just need the time...

* Plan to do a 1/32 kit. I've got the Academy F/A-18C and the Tamiya F-16CJ that are begging me to build them.

I think the idea of "novice" articles is great. I still consider myself to be a newbie at this and seeing techniques spelled out clearly is very helpful. As mentioned by newtothegame, having a reference to steer you on the right path is a wonderful resource.
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
I'll continue building, but I'm planning on not buying any more mainstream kits, if I buy a kit it'll be a limited run!

Gotta thin the herd!

LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 04:19 AM UTC
Well, I've put a bit of thought into it, & I think that my primary focus this year will be making this:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/43704&page=1 a reality. I'll be spending quite a bit of time bugging all of my compatriots here & across the Pond about it & hoping for more feedback, & more importantly some contributions !
(for those who haven't seen it , the Idea is that we get together a show package that it shipped from city to city & set up at events by BigA volunteers.)

Aside from that, I hope to be able to fulfill my Campaign Obligations (Rota pics coming soon, Rowan-I promise!) that have been derailed for one sorry reason or another.

And spend a lot of time building 'Logan-size' kits with my boy.

(Speaking of boys ...anyone seen Martin about lately? Haven't heard from 'im since 'is berd moved in wi' 'im...)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:24 AM UTC
Robert,
thats a great idea you have there. I'm already in the process of forming a, well lets say an association, with a well known modelling club. If this happens then I will be needing a stand. I'm sure those that have already offered their services and I can come up with something for this side of the pond.

Rowan,
Yes, I didn't mention campaigns either, finding that I never get much chance to actually finish them. The P-40 build sounds very interesting

Leon,
You had me smiling quietly to myself, You have an impossible goal I don't believe anyone could only build what he or she have and not buy any more kits. My stash is quite small, at around 200, but I have over 30 on the go, plus I'm planning on starting more :-) I just tell myself it's a good thing :-) I also read articles for the beginner, there is always something to learn. Removing seams,mould lines, ejector pin marks and sink holes will be included.

Frank,
I forgot about a NMF, I intend to do a couple more as well, thanks for reminding me

Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I really only have one goal for this year, and it seems to be a VERY hard one for me. I only want to build kits that I alread have. When I started this hobby a little more than a year ago, I told myself I would only have the kit I was working on and maybe the next one. Well now I have about 15 in the stash and I want to shrink it down some and not add to it.

Thanks,
Leon

For some reason this post hoped in to my head the other day, so I thought I would dig it up, see what I said, and evaluate what I have done...

I have done terrible at reaching this goal! I think I have finished 4 builds this year and am about 1/2 done on two others. Of those 6 models, I owned only 2 before the year started, and have added atleast 3 others to the stash. Oops.

Anyone else want to peek at what they said?
Leon
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
Well my goals are modest. I would like to find time to do at least one new article for the site that i've had an idea bout for a bit on some stuff that works for me.

and I think my skills have improved to the point that I might finally feel that I can do the Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito that i've had stashed in the closet for the last 3 years and do one of the 3 in 1 251 half tracks I have...... and maybe start the Academy Tiger I with full interier.. but I won't push it.....LOL

oh and I'd like to go to one of the reginal model shows if they have one near me this year. I'll have to keep a look out..

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone else want to peek at what they said?
Leon

Hi Leon

It's always scary looking back at old things like this! :-)

Well - I was right in my prediction about how hard I'd find it to get any building done... so far I haven't finished a single kit! All being well, I'll get my Fokker D.VII finished - but that wasn't on my old list of projects!

The only item I mentioned back in January which I can cross off the list is the Feature on vacuforms. A list of goals for 2006 should also make for amusing reading towards the end of next year...

All the best

Rowan
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My goal is to build at least one aircraft this year.
I have no idea which one of the stack in the closet, but at least one will appear here.

:-) :-) I really do have one started!!!!! :-) :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Well I have failed I knew I should have kept my mouth shut But I have started more models. The main goal that wasn't mentioned was getting IPMS ArmoramaUK off the ground and that has happened and the web site is nearing completion.
My excuse for failing though is quite good. I decided to do something about the fact that I would like to work for myself again. I have built a workshop and will be doing some woodworking. I have to construct the IPMS A-UK branch stand first and still have to finish kitting out the shop. This weekend and maybe one other should see it complete. There are some pics on the Junk drawer, with more to be added soon
Mal
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
Well Mal as they say, "The best layed plans of Mice and Men" ? :-)
 _GOTOTOP