_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Colours for old birds
commandosolo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hello all.
after watching the film 'Memphis Belle' i felt an urge to build a B-17. As i like building large scale models (1/35 and up) i wanted to get the largest scale possible. so i am on the prowl for a 1/48 scale B-17 (1/32 would be INSANE!! if there is one). i want to know what colour green is used on the B-17 (like the Memphis Belle) i have also already got a B-24 Liberator on my shelf just gathering dust and was wondering if i could use the same colour for both models.

thanks for the help.

Commandosolo.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:57 AM UTC
Your only options in 1/48 are (old) Revell B-17F (no chin turret) and (old) Monogram B-17G (chin turret) , and I don't know which, if either, is in current release. Depending on the version, you have the choice of od over neutral grey (virtually all the F models like the MB and some G's ) or natural metal (G only). The G's often had very colorful tails and fuselage bands to help identify the unit. The Fortress was also noted for its wide range of nose art, from simple names to Vargas like :-)8 pinups.
The MB also had some dark green scalloping as camo on the upper wing and tail surfaces and, IIRC, some dark green splotches, but I'm not 100% positive on the splotches.
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:58 AM UTC
OD green with gray undersides would be a good bet. Later, natural aluminum would be ok. Check references!!! B 24's seem to be mostly natural aluminum. However, the early ones may have been painted as above. CHECK REFERENCES!!!
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OD green with gray undersides ...B 24's... the early ones may have been painted as above.

Correct. Find any pictures of the Ploesti raid and you'll see this scheme. There were also North African Theatre Liberators paited in a light tan that faded to a pinkish color. The British painted botht their 17's and 24's in their standard camo schemes, but I don't think any of 1/48th scale models of these were used by Britain.
commandosolo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 05:37 AM UTC
thanks for the help guys.
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
Don't forget that the RAF operated them coloured white in coastal command (I think)
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC
build it in 1/32! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO! :-)
commandosolo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 10:30 PM UTC
HA ha lol. that would take years. let alone try to fit it in my room. or my HOUSE!!!!

Commandosolo
 _GOTOTOP