_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
New buy for the President!!
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:35 PM UTC
Well there's a turn up for the books. The Presidential flight is to buy the Anglo / Italian US101 for the VIP transport role!! It is the next step from the RAFs EH101 Merlin HC3. Well I never, looks like all our flying around the US last year has paid off. I have to admit to being biased, but you made the right choice, she is a beauty!! Come on then you big manufacteurers, give us a sweet 1/35th kit of her then!! Revells offering isn't bad, but it is a little out of date. Incidentally, those of you who are watching the developments in Iraq will see the first deployment of the Merlin to Iraq in about March this year.

viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Yes, it looks as if Canada is going to be left as the lone guinea pig for the Sikorsky S-92.

Which for the most part, is a pretty nice helo.....but when we already have 15 or so Merlins for SAR duties....you would think it would make econimical, not to mention mechanical sence to choose the Merlin to replace the Sea Kings in our navy....but nooooooo

Not saying there is anything wrong with the Sikorsky S-92....but the belief was that the US would be going with it over the Merlin, which would help cut down the costs of the whole S92 program.

Although, I don't really see how the loss or gain of a handful of helos is going to help or hurt the program that much. How many Presidential helos would there be???? 10? 12? Not really something that is going to make or break a company.
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
That is true, but hopefully as it is being built in the USA it will open the flood gates. When we did the tour, the order potential was for 301 I think. That was mainly for USAF CSAR and SF elements to replace aging Blackhawks. This is what it is ideally suited to. The Coastguard loved it but said they had no money, congress having wasted it on the Dauphin. With 500nm range on internal fuel, AAR and ferry tank options taking it even further. It is also comfortable and very quiet, making it an ideal choice for SF, rescue etc.

USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but are you saying that the US Marines (which operate the presidential helicopters) are buying the US101? What is the difference between the EH101? Is it a license manufactured aircraft? While I agree that the EH101 is better in some respects than the Blackhawks, why would the US buy a foreign-made (if it is foreign-made) to carry around its leadership? There always was a certain symbology with our countries leaders flying American-designed aircraft.

Jeff
Tiger101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Jeff Sad but true, Sikorski lost the bid to Lockeed. Sikorski has built every Marine One since Eisenhower. Now we have one built in part all over the world.
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:03 AM UTC
It is a licence built copy. Lockheed Martin will be the prime contracter, Bell (I believe) will be heavily involved, Augusta Westlands will build the rotor system, GE (I think) will build the engines. To call it a copy is a little off actually. You will get the result of our R&D within the RAF. We did not hold back when discussing problem areas, and how we would like to see them fixed. The a/c now have many hours actual operational flying in environments such as Norway (-28 C), Bosnia (+40 C), Jordan (+45 C), long range ops (Oxfordshire (UK) to Cyprus and beyond). It has performed fantastically. Sure there have been teething problems but show me an a/c that hasn't. Bear in mind these a/c you get will be state of the art. It will soon be appearing on a TV near you as we deploy at the end of next month. The s92 wasn't really ready to be competition.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi there

20 years is no time... I never thought my dodgy past would catch up with me... but, having worked for Westlands to help pay to go to college, I herebye declare a THOROUGHLY vested interest...

Beyond that, MERLIN is a pretty good name! and if the -101 wins out... well, don't hold it against me!

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
Great news. Shaun I still want a cabbie :-)
Mal
Hoovie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 07:10 AM UTC
Is there any pictures????
Ron
warhog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
great news i personally thought the old choppers were in dire need of being replaced!!!!
 _GOTOTOP