_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Helo Questions...
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
It's been a while since I posted in the AC section hehehe....

Ok for some questions:

1. What's a good OOB Hind (D model preferred) in 1/48 scale? I found a Revell one in my LHS and it looks nice.
2. What's the difference between the D and E model of the Hind? The 1/35 Trump Hind E looks nice and I want to convert it to a D model if few mods were needed.
3. Lastly, which 1/35 Blackhawk (any variant) is better? The Italeri or the Academy?
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
Taken and modified from GlobalSecurity.org:

The Hind D fuselage features nose modification with tandem bubble canopies, and a chin-mounted turret. Mi24D (Hind-D) is significantly re-designed version of the Mi-24A. This was the Hind's first use of the tandem, bubble canopy - as opposed to the single canopy in the Hind-A. An undernose turret contains a four-barrel 12.7 mm 9A624 machine gun. Optional weaponry is mounted on four underwing pylons. It can consist of 4 UB-32 pods (with 32 57 mm S-5 rockets each), 4 x 100 or 250 kg bombs, or 2 x 500 kg bombs, or the same number of napalm dispensers. An air-to-surface launching system for four 122 mm rockets can also be used. On wingtips there are tube-launchers for two pairs of 9M17P anti-tank missiles (Falanga system).

Mi-24V (Hind-E) an improved version of the Hind-D. The major change consists in the upgraded and more efficient SHTURM - V missile system with 9M114 (AT-6 Spiral) radio-guided anti-tank missiles launched from two pairs of cylindrical pods mounted on wingtips. Also added were B-8V rocket pods for 20x 80 mm S-8 rockets, UPK-23-250 pods with two-barrel Gsh-23L cannons and 250 rounds, GUV9A universal pods which can carry a 30 mm 9-A-800 automatic grenade launcher, or one 12.7 mm 9-A-624 four-barrel machine gun and two four-barrel 7.62 mm 9-A-622 machine guns. It was equipped with TV3-117V engines with improved height characteristics and optional exhaust mixer boxes to cool exhaust gasses, and auxiliary fuel tanks with a capacity of 450 litres.

As for the Blackhawks, everything I have seen points me to the Academy version.

Jeff
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC

Revell/Monogram (same kit, just reboxed) is the only 1/48 Hind D out there. It is a good kit and was considered the best Hind model until the new Trumpeter 1/35 version.

Basically the Hind D/E issue is covered above. The D and E models are the same in fusalage, controls, etc. The changes are in avionics and fire control and updated engine components.

The Italeri and Academy UH-60A/L are both the same kit. Italeri just a licensed rebox of the Academy kit. Only difference is decals. It has decal options for 3 different versions, Israeli Air Force '99, US Army Somalia '92, US Army (101st ABN) Bosnia 2001.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 06:02 AM UTC
Yes the Monogram kit is the Hind D variant. If you want to upgrade it to the Hind E variant, Cobra Company makes a nice resin conversion set for it, new cockpit, new bits for the nose of the helo as well as the twin 23mm guns for the side.

He also has 4 different resin weapons sets to load out the Hind....so lots to choose from. Prices are pretty reasonable as well.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 11:42 AM UTC
To my knowledge, gained from multiple sources, the starboard (right) 23mm fixed twin-barrel cannon was introduced on the Hind-F not the Hind-E. The Hind-F, besides the changed gun, is an upgraded Hind-E with even better avionics and weapon options. I think it has a new engine.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP