_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tamiya P-51D "Blue Nose" In Progress Shots
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi all,

I figured I'd throw a couple of shots of my in-progress Tamiya P-51D. I'm doing "Petie 3rd" from the Aeromaster "Blue Nose Bastards Of Bodney" Set. This is my first attempt at a bare metal finish-type paint job and it turned out okay. I used Tamiya Gloss Aluminum and Blue spray cans for the basic paint job and brush painted the interior, wheel wells, etc.

At this point, I've sealed in the decals with Future, applied a wash to the panel lines, and dirtied up the overall scheme. Most builds I've seen are really clean, so I wanted to be different and envisioned the plane on how I thought it would look after a tough mission. I've still got the do some more weathering around the guns and exhaust, but I'm fairly happy with the outcome so far.

As always, comments and suggestions are gladly welcomed!

TsunamiBomb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 01:19 PM UTC
Wow, That looks excellent, your Pony looks awesome. Everything looks so real! You might need to scratch up the blue and black parts a tad. You dont even need to do that either, it looks excellent as it is. Does he have 1 kill or are all those yellow circles his kills also? Excellent job bro.
Kencelot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 01:26 PM UTC
Ok, so I don't build wingy things, but I do enjoy looking at the ones that others do.
The Mustang has always been one of my favorites so (Hellcat up there too) I just had to take a peek at yours. It looks terrific thus far. I love the "blue nose" you did on her. The panel lines and the decals look excellent. Makes for a colorful craft.
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
Frank, thats honestly the nicest p-51 ive ever seen!!!

Frank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 02:04 PM UTC
Wow, That's a pertty target if I say so myself!
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, That looks excellent, your Pony looks awesome. Everything looks so real! You might need to scratch up the blue and black parts a tad. You dont even need to do that either, it looks excellent as it is. Excellent job bro.

Ditto. I have nothing to add as this sums it right up. Great job.

Jeff
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hello all!

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. They are all very much appreciated.

TsunamiBob - the yellow markers are his actual kills. The markers are actually made up of two layered decals: yellow swastikas on the bottom, black outlined swastikas on top.

3442 (Frank) - You flatter me so! Makes me afraid to finish it up for fear of messing up the results.

As for finishing, I've got a set of True Details resin wheels ready to go along with the struts and gear doors. I just need to Future and paint both canopy pieces and get them attached as well.

My one sticking point now is the final coat. As it stands, it's got a glossy Future coat which looks pretty good. I'm wondering if it would be more accurate if it had a semi-gloss coat?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
Frank you have a wonderful P-51 there, thanks for sharing.

Quoted Text

My one sticking point now is the final coat. As it stands, it's got a glossy Future coat which looks pretty good. I'm wondering if it would be more accurate if it had a semi-gloss coat?

A difficult call and I don't want to influance you at all cos she looks very good as is. However you say you want to show it after a tough mission? With all those kill markings I think that there are a few tough missions behind this aircraft and therefore I don't think that she would be very shiny. You could always try a semi-gloss coat and if you don't like it re-apply future?
Once again a very good P-5
Mal
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thanks Mal! I was doing some more research on this particular plane and it turns out that it still exists and has been restored. The finish is definitely more semi-gloss.

I picked up a can of Model Master Semi-Gloss Coat to try out. Anyone have any experience with it? I've used Testors Dullcote without any issues and I'm assuming this will be the same.

I like the glossy look, but the stickler part of me is pushing to tone it down.
Jakkels
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Looks excellent. I have done the same markings on a Tamiya bird, but I used Bare Metal foil for the finnish and it is too shiney by half. Think I will try to weather it down a bit, like you have done.

Is that all oil wash?
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Jakkels. Thanks for the compliment. The wash is done with acrylic tube paints from the Arts & Crafts store. Academy brand, if I remember correctly.

In creating the wash, I use a plastic bottle cap from a 20oz. soda bottle, filled about 3/4 full with water, then add a pencil eraser-sized drop of Mars Black paint from the tube, along with 2-3 drops of liquid dish soap. Mix and apply. It took a few applications per panel line to get the color that I wanted, but it's easier to add than remove in my experience.
 _GOTOTOP