_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Feedback on making Huey
Legendary
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 12:19 AM UTC
Here is my first model ever so bare over whit me...:-)

What do you think about it anything that can be better ???

Regards Martin
Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC
Good job so far Martin.
Is that the old Revel 1/32 Huey kit?

I like the dirt in front of the rear troop seats. The only thing I would add is a wash on cabin floor and walls.
kglack43
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 01:13 AM UTC
your first?..wow..very good indeed...and to add to pete's comments, a tear or two in the troop compartment wall padding (from weapons and gear) will add a touch of detail...don't have too much clutter and trash lying around , as it would be sucked out during flights, or gathered up in the corners from the air movement. Do you have access to the real thing? Nothing like looking one over and shooting pics of the things you want to detail on your kit.

Keep up the great work...

kevin

mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 01:18 AM UTC
really smart effort for your 1st kit btwe what kit is it? nice to see some one else building helo's on the site
kglack43
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 01:33 AM UTC
your first?..wow..very good indeed...and to add to pete's comments, a tear or two in the troop compartment wall padding (from weapons and gear) will add a touch of detail...don't have too much clutter and trash lying around , as it would be sucked out during flights, or gathered up in the corners from the air movement. Do you have access to the real thing? Nothing like looking one over and shooting pics of the things you want to detail on your kit.

Keep up the great work...

kevin

kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
Lookin' good so far Martin! Far, far better than I could do with that or with choppers in general.

Ahhh... the memories of the -1D and -1H.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
Looking great so far. Couple comments though. On the troop seats, there should not be a melat (gray paint) edge around the seats. They are simply fabric stretchd over a metal fram, but the frame is almost completely covered. It only shows where the support legs meet the frame and the fabric is cut in semi-circles around the legs to allow them to protrude. Also, your rear troop seat is missing the vertical support bars that come with the kit and are needed to hold the seat up, one on each side. For the back of the troop seat, the only metal on it is the upper bar, the rest is fabric that has loops that pass over the bar. The forward troop seat is made in a simmilar manner where the fabric is over a metal frame with additional metal bars that go up the back to hold the headrests.

A few corrections and it will look great. Keep up the good work.
Legendary
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 12:27 PM UTC
I all.. Thanks for all the feedback..

Well the kit is a 1/32 revell kit called Helicopter patrol... there is also a Oh 6A in it but havet got that fare yet...

But about the wash what would you guys recomend ???

I use acrylic paint...

and i have paintet the helio acordelig too the manual...

Best regards.. hud...'
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 - 05:46 PM UTC
For a wash, I would thin out the acrylic paint with either water or rubbing alcohol and a drop of dish detergent, this breaks the surface tension and allows it to flow better. I would use a red-brown for Vietnam soil color. I would also use a little darker gray on the cloth walls to deepen the quiting and accentuate the details.

Quoted Text

and i have paintet the helio acordelig too the manual...

If you are speaking about the troop seats, I still disagree and stand by my original statements. There are no metal frames showing on the seat edges. I have ridden in many a Huey in my 11 years in the US Army. They all had the same style seats, no metal showing around the edges. And you are missing the vertical support posts that hold them up (I have built this kit multiple times as well) they are parts #20 in the instructions.

Here are a couple of photos of the rear seats to show how they look.

You will notice the vertical upright supports and the only metal rod is the curved bar support under the seat.

Hope these help to illustrate my point better.

Good luck, it is coming along nicely, few tweaks and it can be great.
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC
martin, il jsut add to what gino said about the wash, i use tamiya acrylics, and like to thing them with there thinner, add detergent, but also use future floorwax ive never got a nice wash before useing the future in my mixture here are the results:
 _GOTOTOP