Hosted by Rowan Baylis
My F6F-5 Hellcat
FabioMoretti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi friends, some pics of my F6F-5 Hellcat (1:48 Hasegawa - Aeromaster Decals), I hope you enjoy it...
If you want, criticize it..please..

Cheers

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi Fabio,
A very nice clean build, colours look good too. A little too clean though I think. A panel line wash, chipped and faded paintwork and exhaust staining, which is very prominent on this aircraft, would, IMHO, add a certain something. You could also replace the painted on nav lights with clear sprue, sanded to shape with an indentation drilled into the back and filled with the appropriate colour paint, to represent the coloured bulb. The base is good but American Carriers had blue stained wooden decks. Also the aircraft tie downs were in the form of channels that ran across the decks.
Just my thoughts, you have a Hellcat to be proud of there.
Mal
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
What brand paint did you use?

cheers

Philip
FabioMoretti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 11:19 PM UTC
Thank you guys...
Procrazzy, I used Humbrol ...

Cheers
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
very nice build.
Maybe some panel washes and chipping .
Maybe you could get soms "oil" look inside the motor.

cheerz Q.
FabioMoretti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:47 AM UTC
Thank you LordQ...but I commited another mystake, if exist some marks of destroyed Japanese Aircrafts, how it could so clean

Well, IŽll have to remove this marks...
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 07:12 AM UTC
While I would agree with the need for a little dirtier aircraft - Navy aircraft were well weathered from salt water - given that the deck does not appear well worn, I wouldn't fret too much over any additional weathering.

My questions pertain to two things: Were the aux. fuel tanks the same color of Navy Blue as the aircraft? Did this also apply to the wheel hubs too? I don't have much knowledge otherwise, though I thought most fuel tanks were a bare metal - so I am not questioning accuracy, I am just curious.

In any event, great job on a great aircraft that is not often modelled.

Always a wingie at heart if not in practice.
Jeff
FabioMoretti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi guys, thank you very much...

Holdfast, thank you for the tip...

USNavy 2534, the US Navy used an overall glossy sea blue scheme from March of 1944 on all fighters..

Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
Jeff,
Fabio is quite correct, usually the undercarriage, including wheel wells and inner face of doors, and wheel hubs on US Navy aircraft were painted the underside colour. Earlier, when aircraft were painted in the 3 colour scheme, the undercarriage would have been painted white. There is possibly a start date for this to have been started but I don't know when that was. I think drop tanks, in general, would be painted in the underside colour. Of course there were exceptions to this and drop tanks painted for use on one aircraft, of one colour, may sometimes have been used on a similar aircraft painted a different colour, or maybe going through a transition. The drop tank on my Hellcat is actually painted white. This may have been left over from the earlier 3 colour scheme or might have been painted as part of the overall scheme as this aircraft has other white elements on it such as white stripes on the tail. You are also correct, sometimes drop tanks would be left in bare metal.
Fabio,
If you like I can post a couple of picks of my Hellcat, it has the exhaust staining I was talking about? Or alternatively I can download them to my gallery and you can view them there. I don't want to highjack your post
Mal
moJimbo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 02:08 PM UTC
nice one there Fabio. i like the clean look ont the model but i agree with the others that some paint chipping (esp on pacific theatre aircraft) will make it look more realistic.

also if it were me i'll open the canopy and add a ground crew beside the hellcat, talking or gesturing to the pilot to add some life to the scene.

cheers...
FabioMoretti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hi guys, thank you Mojimbo...

I tried to make the canopi opened...but it smaller than the track, them I located it in closed position..

Holdfast, sure...go ahead...post your Hellcat pics here...

Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holdfast, sure...go ahead...post your Hellcat pics here...

OK will do, the pics I have are not very good, I will take some more and post them
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
Sorry for taking so long but I have been having problems with my internet connection, all sorted now, I hope.
This is my Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat of VF-12 USS Randolph (CV-15) May 1945. It is painted with Xtracolour Sea Blue, the main markings and tail stripes are masked and airbrushed, the rest of the markings are from the kit decal sheet.

There are a few more pics in my gallery.
Mal
FabioMoretti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Hold, very nice job...congrats...
The weathering is very natural...the escape charges and the marks of oil laks in the tank...
I like the job in the decals...very nice..IŽll try to make this in my F6F-5..thanks for sharing this beautifull model...

Cheers...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
Thanks Fabio. The exhaust staining could be better, it really needs to be a little more controlled and feathered out more, ie fading towards the rear. I did this with my old airbrush which was on the way out, so I struggled a little. This was one of my earliest aircraft to be posted on the big A, I've improved some since then
Mal
FabioMoretti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Hold, my new stand of F6F-5 is almost ready , IŽll pics of it as soon as possible...I already chose the name of it

"How to runaway of the weathering" :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Thanks for sharing your model...really amazing..

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP