_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
MH-60L DAP and UH-60L done, lots of pics
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
Below is my completed Academy 1/35th MH-60L DAP. It represents a current aircraft as used by the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR).

I used parts from the Cobra Company MH/HH-60G Update set, UH-60L Correction/Detail set, and the M230 30mm Cannon Rig set. The decals were custom made by Klaus Pagano (Avus) in the correct OD Green colors, as opposed to the crappy yellow kit decals. I added lots of scratch details as well to include the Fast Rope rig; engine control levers on the upper console; handles, locks and other bits on the nose; ammo belts from the CC UH-1N Weapons sets for the miniguns; spent brass chutes on the miniguns from old coils from a Star Wars Speeder Bike; etc., etc.

Cobra Company sets used.
MH/HH-60G Upgrade set (selected parts used)

UH-60L Correction set (selected parts used)

M230 30mm Cannon Rig

It is painted Ultra Flat Black from a spray can of Camo Paint. Then, after a coat of gloss, decals and two coats Testors Flat, I drybrushed with Gunship Gray, and then drybrushed with another coat of flat black.

More here

Below is my Academy 1/35 UH-60L representing an early to mid 1990s to current UH-60L of the 101st Airborne Division.

It is the standard Academy UH-60A/L kit with Cobra Company's UH-60L Correction/Detail set (see above). I actually built the model a couple of years ago, but recently added the CC upgrade set to it. To make it a true UH-60L, you have to add the CC parts. The kit is actually an A model out of the box. To make it a correct L model, you need FOD covers on the front of the intakes (squares that cover the side openings); and extended sponson boxes (about 10" wider on the real bird) forward of the wheels to allow space for the roll stabilized bars added to L models. The CC set comes with all of this and also a new rear bulkhead and MH folding tail (which I saved for a later project). I also replaced the cyclics and collectives, added pieces to the instrument panel and added the overhead engine control levers. In the cabin, I added the fourth seat on the rear facing middle row, Academy only gives you 3 seats for this row, should be 4. I also added various tie down rings and d-rings to the rear cabin and the Squad Leader's intercom/radio on the cabin roof. The kit M60Ds were replaced with ones from the DML Vietnam Helo Crew as well. The kit M60D parts are large and blobs of plastic, they don't represent M60Ds well at all. I added other bits and pieces around the cabin as well such as fire extinguishers and a crash axe.

It is painted with Testors MM US Army Helo Drab, and finished in the normal way of glosscoat, decals, and dullcoat, then selectively drybrushed with aluminum and dusty coats.

The crew are a combination of kits and resin pieces. The pilots are from the Academy OH-58D kit. For the gunners the lower legs, arms, and heads are from the DML Vietnam Helo Crew set. Their torsos are copies of the Verlinden Cobra Pilot figure. The torsos have the survival vest over a normal flight suit, I think they look pretty good for a modern/semi-modern crewman.

More here.

Hope you like them. I am pretty proud of them.

Thanks for looking.
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:58 PM UTC
Very good Gino.
I like all the interior stowage, coke boxes etc..
Cheers
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
Very meticulious. You sure got them done quick; it was just the other day you were showing us pictures of the interior getting done. In some of the pictures, the figures look almost human. While I am in no way a Blackhawk expert, both look very accurate. Very well done.

Jeff
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 08:58 PM UTC
Heavy,

These two birds are breath taking. I love them. The first pic you shown the complete MH60, for a moment there I thought it was an actual aircraft.

How can you get them done so fast.

Very good work!
Teacher
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 09:02 PM UTC
Now this really, really makes me want to do a few aircraft again.

Vinnie
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 05:10 AM UTC
Thanks guys for all the compliments. As to finishing them fast, I did the UH-60L a couple of years ago and just added some of the CC parts as I built the MH-60L DAP to correct it as an L model. I decided to photograph it along with the DAP since I didn't have any pics of it.

The DAP went toghether pretty quickly actually. I love the Academy Blackhawks, they are great builds and just scream for some extra details. I have a couple more in the stash that will become a USAF MH-60G and a early UH-60A, using the CC A model exhaust conversion, from the Grenada timeframe.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 05:22 AM UTC
Gino,
Nice builds!
Very clean and very smooth. I can see none of the places where the aftermarket meets the kit parts. -a common stumbling block of mine.-

One observation and one question.

I noticed that in the DAP, the non-skid floor is of different widths and some ends are at a different angles than others.
Was this intentional?

Ok, so it is more like TWO questions...

How did you get the seats hung in the vanilla vers?
I've gotten to that stage, but have been too chicken -after a bad experience with an MRC/Academy helo where I did not have things alligned sorrectly and 4-5 steps later it came back and bit me in the butt..

Any suggestions on the whole side walls, roof, seats and especially seat legs assembly ?

Mike

With a Hind, Super Frelon, Little Bird, 2x Whiskey Cobras and a Loach all in progress...and a Hip on the pile to start.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One observation and one question.

I noticed that in the DAP, the non-skid floor is of different widths and some ends are at a different angles than others.
Was this intentional?

Ok, so it is more like TWO questions...

How did you get the seats hung in the vanilla vers?

Mike, Thanks for the compliments. The non-slip I did that way intentionally. From aircraft I have been in, thats how they looked. The floor strips are self adhesive tape. They wear off pretty regularly and are reapplied by the crew, sometimes over existing strips or portions of strips. That is what I was attempting to represent. I think it came out pretty convincing.

For the seat, this is how I do them. I build the cabin and cockpit as per the instructions adding the seat support bar to the ceiling. The seats are the last part I put in before completeing the whole cabin assembly. To do this, I paint and assemble the seat bottoms, frame and back. Next I super glue the angled support legs at a 45 degree angle to the seat bottoms. You will have complete seats with supports at this stage. I then attach each seat individually to the upper support bar on the roof and superglue them in position. Then I superglue each angled support leg to the floor. This takes a while as you have to do each seat individually before moving to the next, but it is worth the effort, it comes out looking really good.

Good luck on yours. Let me know if you have any other questions.
melon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
Gino,

Once again, BRAVO.

Looks great. In fact, it makes me want to build one!

I wonder if CC makes an SH-60 conversion set? That would be fun, and if I can make it with folded rotor and tail, it would fit easily on the shelf.

Again, awesome build.

Melon
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if CC makes an SH-60 conversion set? That would be fun, and if I can make it with folded rotor and tail, it would fit easily on the shelf.

According to Chris Miller, Chief Snake (founder of Cobra Company), he has someone working on the masters for an SH-60B conversion. The exhaust set is part of it. Hopefully he will have it out soon, we shall see. That makes one more version to do. It would look awesome though.
Mozam
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 03:02 AM UTC
great pictures, nice job
barnsley5000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 136 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
i have just purchased the UH-60L ACADEMY kit and want to convert it to special forces roles what aftermarket kits do i need and what do i need to scratch build
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC
Read your other post and study the above build. Those should get you started.
 _GOTOTOP