Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 09:03 AM UTC
As I always say, "You can't have to many Spitfires" so here is my latest :-)
This is Hasegawa's Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb, representing a machine of 401 squadron RCAF, "Corps of Frontiersmen" (badge under windscreen) July 1943, The model is painted with Colourcoats enamel (see my review Colourcoats ) paint. Notice that on the starboard side the camouflage pattern is none standard, this was confirmed by photographic evidence. The markings are from the kit except the codes, which were taken from a Superscale sheet. Cannon barrels were replaced with stainless tube, which was heat treated to get the colouring. They look a bit rusty in the pics but they do look better in real life.

Mal
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
Certainly can't have too many that look that nice,well done Mal.
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
That's a nice looking aircraft you built. The camo is fantastic. I don't see where you posted the scale. How many Spitfires do you have?
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
Looks great Mal (as usual). I really enjoy viewing your builds, especially the spitfires! I notice the (I don't know what they are called) back elevators (?) are dropped. Was that a kit option or did you cut and reposition them? If you did it, was it a very involved process??

Again, looks top notch.
Thanks,
Leon
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Another beauty!

Can you believe - I still don't have a Spitfire in my meagre collection of finished models! Maybe this year I'll finally complete the pink PRU Spit I started so long ago...

All the best

Rowan
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:55 AM UTC
That is one sexy beast!
And a clipped wing one too! Was that a kit opiton or did you have a few and decided to go for it with the ol dremel? In any case it looks great!
Bravo and keep-em comming
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC
Nice job Mal. Like the color scheme. Did you do the camo freehand or use a mask? What type of airbrush did you use? Wingman out.
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
Yay! You are back, did you get my pm?
That spit is just a beauty, did you use blu-tack or what for the camo? Also, what scale is it?

cheers

Philip
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Philip

I shouldn't answer for Mal but, based on his latest build, I imagine that's free-hand camo! All down to SKILL and an Evolution airbrush - Mal recommended this to me and it's truly superb!

Scale?... I'm guessing 1/48.

All the best

Rowan
Tordenskiold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"You can't have to many Spitfires"

I bet he said that many late nights over a drink
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
Thanks Chuck

Alan

Quoted Text

That's a nice looking aircraft you built. The camo is fantastic. I don't see where you posted the scale. How many Spitfires do you have?

As Merlin says the scale is 1/48, sorry for not posting that piece of neccesary info.
I have 7 Spitfires built, a Seafire FR 47 on the go and 4 in boxes. I think I will be buying a Mk VII from Jetprovest soon, when he gets his finger out. Unless he has already sold it on e-bay :-)

Leon

Quoted Text

Looks great Mal (as usual). I really enjoy viewing your builds, especially the spitfires! I notice the (I don't know what they are called) back elevators (?) are dropped. Was that a kit option or did you cut and reposition them? If you did it, was it a very involved process??

Thanks.
Yes the elevators on Spitfires were usually seen in the drooped position. My guess is that the pilot pushed the stick forward to allow more room to exit the aircraft. With later marks, I have forgotten from which, either the switch to the Griffon engine or the Mk XIV rings a bell, the elevators would adopt the oposite attitude ie up. This I believe was due to the balance, because I think the pilot would still push the stick forward to exit, but the balance of the elevators caused them to tip up. This of course could have been the reason why, in the earlier marks, they tipped down, but photos do show level elevators, sometimes.
I repositioned the elevators myself, it is fairly easy to do. Cut the elevetor off and glue a legth of square section rod to the edge (or half round if you have the right size) sand it to a half round shape. Use a triangular file and cut a "V" notch in the tail plane trailing edge. File the hinge locations into the rounded rod. You might have to do a little adjusting. Paint and attatch with CA at the required angle.

This is from my Mk I, seen in the online build.

Thanks Rowan, What no Spit, string 'im up :-)

BigTon

Quoted Text

And a clipped wing one too! Was that a kit opiton

Yep the clipped wing is an option in the kit, I cut off and replaced the nav lights with coloured toothbrush handle pieces.

wingman

Quoted Text

Nice job Mal. Like the color scheme. Did you do the camo freehand or use a mask? What type of airbrush did you use? Wingman out.

procrazzy

Quoted Text

Yay! You are back, did you get my pm?
That spit is just a beauty, did you use blu-tack or what for the camo? Also, what scale is it?

Thanks, as Rowan says, the camo is freehand, I have dabbled with Blue Tack masks and they work OK, but to be honest I find it much easier to do it freehand. It's also more satisfiying and great practice for the more complicated schemes.
Philip, yes I got your PM, I have been having problems with my internet connection. I answered your query in your forum post.

Mal
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:23 PM UTC
Excellent job Mal!

While I've been away, I see that you've made good things!

OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
Oh yes, I almost forgot.

You never can't have too many Spits!

:-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP