_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
heller panes
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 05:35 AM UTC
i mean those 1:144 plane models from heller. i first bought one because i liked the plane but it has no detalis. some people says that the 1:72 aren't good. what do you think?
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC
I have got the heller P-51 1/72. Doesn't look like its worth the time it would take to build it. I have only kept it incase I want to try something someday on something I am not affraid to ruin. Also, it doesn't say what model of the P-51 it is, just P-51 although from I would guess it to be C or later based on my VERY limited knowledge. It has the buble type canopy.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:21 AM UTC
For the most part, Heller 1/72 are pretty old, often dating back to the mid seventies and earlier. Back then, we thought a kit was great if it had reasonably good fit. Interior detailing, including wheel wells, was bare bones, at best. Heller was among the best in 1/72 at the time. They just haven't updated the molds and simply repackage from time to time. If you have one of these, consider it a quick OOB slammer. Try an unusual paint scheme or use up some spare decals. Think of us old guys who cut our building teeth on these kits.
BlueBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:56 PM UTC
If you can find some cockpit detail sets that will work, you can get some Heller kits to work. Like Matchbox and Airfix, some of these are the only ones made of a subject, including aftermarket conversions. I'm on the lookout for interior details for an AJ-32A Lansen, an AJ-35F Draken for the Svenska Flygvapnet and a RF-35 Draken from the Danish Air Force, all Heller 1/72. Detail is fine to moderate raised panel lines, but who else makes them?
Airfix/MPC has a J-35F and once upon a time, Revell had a J-35A. Hasegawa has a state of the art J-35O, but who really wants to try scratch-building a new nose with clear plastic photo windows? As far as I know, no one else has a Lansen.
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:15 PM UTC
k yhank you all and i will look for what BlueBear say
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:31 PM UTC
Yeah, their 2 seater Su27 has been on the shelf after finding out how bad the fit/detail was. What a dog of a kit!

Good cheap fodder for little kids, but not anything to waste time on.

My 0.02

Mike
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:15 PM UTC
Heller kits are what I started with.
And for the beginners, some are good !
Also, there are many planes that you won't find somewhere else...
After a few heller kits, you're glad to move on to tamygawa...

PS : heller is sloooowly updating it's 1/48th line with some good kits like the new T6 texan (ex Ocidental mold).
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 04:48 PM UTC
i started with matchbox but heller was the first i painted
 _GOTOTOP