_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
nail polish remover and clear parts
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
i have some filling to do on a cockpit that do'snt quite fit . is it ok to try to use nail polish remover to smooth the filler (squadron green) or will it harm the clear parts? i want to avoid any rubbing down if possible, because abrasives + clear parts = recipe for disaster!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
I used it for the same reason on a kit from Mach 2 recently with no ill effects. BUT as plastics do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, I would suggest you test it on the clear sprue from the kit first. Best of luck.
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:24 AM UTC
i had no problems using it on clear parts, but like chuck mentioned, better of trying on the sprue first

Frank
ws48
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
If you can find it use acetone free nail polish remover. I use it on Squardron White on various plastics and have had no problems.

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
what am i like! after a day of thinking about this, it finally occured to me that the filler of choice now for me is kleer mixed with talcum powder, which will certainly give me no problems with any plastic parts, its just that i read about the nail polish remover in the B 17 its huge thread, and got "new idea fever" anyhows ive got my cockpit gaps filled up nice, but while i was doing that i could hear somthing rattling around in the fusalage im not to bothered as i cant see anything missing from the a/m cockpit but its a puzzle all the same
 _GOTOTOP