_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
This makes me want to build one
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC
I allways liked the A-10 and this article makes me want to build one any suggestions on which one straight OOB with No PE maybe seat and seat belts.
thanks
and now the article
http://news.yahoo.com/?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=3&cid=578&u=/nm/20020920/ts_nm/afghan_usa_attack_dc
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:18 PM UTC
Welcome to the club!!

This is the same way these scum operate across our borders. However, they don't bother about whom they are attacking, but kill innocent women and children instead.

You can try out the AMT/ERTL A-10 Thunderbolt Action scene kit. It includes the following : a display base, the A/C(of course !), two figures, ground support vehicles (and crew, if I'm not mistaken). Bought it cheap on Ebay, and have been just drooling at it since #:-) !

Rgds,
BP.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
Believe it or not, the nicest A-10 is the Monogram kit in 1:48 scale. Readily available and relatively cheap.
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
There are a couple of A-10 kit's around, depending on your preferred scale.

For 1/48 there's only really four; AMT/ERTL, Revell, Tamiya and Monogram. Forget the first one, it's a dog. Between Tamiya and Monogram you have a choice, depending on what you want. The Tamiya kit represents a prototype and contains a weapons fit that isn't used by the A-10. Monogram shows a production aircraft, but an early one. From memory, post Desert Storm aircraft cannot be built OOB. Both have some small fit issues.

RMS thread on the best 1/48 A-10

Revell
Revell 1/48 A-10A Thunderbolt

Monogram
Monogram 1/48 A-10A Thunderbolt II
1/48 Revell-Monogram A-10 "SnowHog"
1/48 Monogram A-10 Warthog
1/48 Monogram A-10
1/48 Monogram/Revell A-10A Thunderbolt II (this would be the most useful, it talks about turning the Monogram kit into a modern post-LASTE A-10)
"Taming the Hog" (Features a kit comparison)
Monogram's 1/48 A-10A Thunderbolt II

Tamiya
Notes on Tamiya + comparisons to Mongoram

In 1/72 there are __ kits; Italeri, Minicraft, Airfix, Academy, Revell/Monogram and Hobbycraft. Go Italeri. Apparently the Revell one is repackaged Italeri, for more money.

Matchbox
MATCHBOX 1:72 A-10A THUNDERBOLT II

Italeri
ITALERI 1:72 OA-10 WARTHOG
(AIR) Italeri 1/72 A-10 Mini Review

Some threads on the best 1/72 kit from RMS
November 1999
April 1999
April 2001

Cheers,
Linz
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 09:24 AM UTC
Geez, that 'Taming the Hog' article and RMS post look vaguely familiar....can't seem to figure out why

Cheers,
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hi Linz,

I'd like a clarification on the AMT/ERTL kit. Is it really that BAD??

I got it damn cheap on Ebay, and the kit looks very very detailed to me. What exactly are the problems with the kit?

If Steve could pitch in, that's be great too !

BP.
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:40 PM UTC
Here's an excerpt from my review on ARC:

ESCI/AMT A-10:

The Esci A-10 (and it's various re-issues by AMT), represents an early production A-10A, and is probably the worst of all the available 1/48 A-10 kits, although it does have some good points. It has some serious errors in shape and outline, which are most noticeable around the forward fuselage. It simply doesn't have the correct shape (at least to my eye), appearing to be too thin and pointy around the nose. It lacks the surface detail of the Monogram kit, to include the lack of any raised rivet detail on the aft fuselage. Also, I don't have the kit in front of me at the moment, but I believe that the underwing chaff dispensers are also missing from this kit.

The cockpit ,at least in my opinion, is atrocious, as instruments and side panels are represented by decals, and the ejection seat provided with the kit is unrecognizable. Also, the canopy is molded in one piece, which leaves you to get out your trusty razor saw should you decide to open the canopy. Finally, I'd suggest (should you decide to build one), to throw out ALL of the included weapons, and start over with some spares from other kits, or from the Hasegawa weapons sets.

There are some good points to the kit, however. One good part about this kit is that it comes with the GAU-8 assembly. Although this is pretty inaccurate, it does at least give you some idea of the dimensions in case you want to scratchbuild your own. Another good point of the kit is that the nacelle fronts are molded as separate pieces, which makes construction and painting much easier in this area than the Monogram kit - you'll see exactly what I mean when you get to this point in the article. Also, the kit goes together much easier, and without a lot of fit problems that plague the Monogram kit. The later AMT re-releases include ground support equipment, and if you can get the kit cheaply, I'd suggest buying it, if for no other reason than using the ground support equipment. However, if you're determined to do a lot of updating and scratchbuilding the cockpit (I don't think the Black Box set will fit the kit), you can wind up with a nice model, but it will take a lot of work.

HTH-

bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hmmm....So that's it! Thanks Steve for your inputs.

Will go back today and check out the kit against some refs I have. Have been only drooling about it, and haven't yet checked out these points...

Sad, b'cos I really love the way they have packaged the kit.. !! So damn big, but incorrect stuff underneath.. DAMN!!!!

BP.
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
BP-

I can understand being upset, but look at the bright side: you did get some nice ground support equipment and a display base for your model (whichever one you choose to build). The Monogram kit is definitely the most detailed, but it's also the hardest to build.

I'd just hate to see you wind up being even MORE upset with trying to build the ESCI kit. Not that it can't be built, but the Monogram kit is such a better option, and you don't have to saw the canopy apart if you want to leave it open (although why anyone would want to showcase that ESCI cockpit is beyond me). :-)

If there's anything else I can help you out with, please don't hesitate to drop me a line, and I'll do what I can.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 06:52 PM UTC
My experience with AMT/ERTL kits is very, very bad. I built their F-18A a few months ago and I still wake-up in cold sweats at night because of it...lol! I will never buy another of their kits unless several reviews come out calling one of their kits the best thing since sliced bread...fat chance.

The 1/32 Trumpeter A-10 kit hasn't been mentioned. Although the scale is big producing a BIG plane, I hear this is a great kit but suffers in the cockpit area (Blackbox does make a resin update cockpit set). I've seen this model and it is very impressive. You should be able to find several reviews very easily.
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi Bryan-

The AMT/ERTL lineage dates back mostly to ESCI re-pops, which of course, range from pretty darn good to absolute abominations. The AMT/ERTL A-10 is actually a re-pop of the ESCI A-10 (remember the one molded in silver plastic?) from many years ago, and at least in my opinion, is absolutely horrible. Then again, the original kit is the result of 1970's technology, and I guess we have to keep that in mind when considering its quality.

Actually, some of the old ESCI kits, while not much higher in quality, are very much sought after, such as the Mirage series, and the MiG-23/27 series (for which there are now a number of upgrade sets). Also, the AMT S-3 Viking was an original ESCI kit, and IMHO, is an excellent kit. Recessed panel lines, nice detail, and easy construction.

Another one which sticks out in my mind from the original ESCI line is the F-4E in 1/48. With the exception of the cockpit (which is totally devoid of detail), it is a really nice kit, and either a spare Monogram cockpit or a Black Box set will fix the problem in this area. Add a few weapons from the spares box, and you're good to go.

True, the AMT F/A-18 is a clunker, and when I first started reading your article, I thought perhaps you were a glutton for punishment, but you did an OUTSTANDING job with the kit all the same - looks great!

Long story short: there were actually a few really nice kits in the ESCI line, and there were some real dogs as well. Seems as though there was no middle ground with this company!
:-)
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 10:11 PM UTC
Speaking of Trumpeter 1/32 A-10 reviews, here's one for you, and here's another one .

For a listing of aftermarket decals and accessories, click here. This is a pretty comprehensive list, and will be helpful for picking out aftermarket parts and 'stickers'.

The Trumpeter A-10 is a really nice kit. Like any other, it has it's drawbacks, which you'll read about in the reviews above. Here's the Readers Digest version of the shortcomings:

1. Cockpit detail is admittedly poor (with the exception of a very nice ACES II seat)
2. Likewise with the pilot figure
3. Windscreen shape is inaccurate
4. Decals (particularly stencil decals) are blurry, and some colors are out of register slightly
5. GAU-8 parts are all represented, but a linked belt of 30mm rounds is provided instead of the flex chutes , and only one muzzle comes with the kit. If you want to display the gun separately, you'll either have to get the Cutting Edge detail set, or cast another one in resin.
6. LASTE antenna are not separate parts (will have to be removed for a Desert Storm era bird. Likewise, the EGI dome will have to be faired over as well.
7. Free-fall weapons provided are not representative of a typical A-10 loadout. There are a number of options available here, including robbing bombs from the Revell or Tamiya F-15E kits. You could use LAU-68s from the MRC SuperCobra (although they're 1/35 scale), Mk.82s or Rockeyes from the Tamiya or Revell Strike Eagles, TERs from the Hasegawa F-16, or go with aftermarket parts from Flightpath or CAM for CBU-87 or BSU-49 ballutes. The Mavericks and Sidewinders provided with the kit really aren't bad, and you have the option of using either single rails or triple rails with the Mavericks.

Now, that being said, it is a really nice kit, and with a resin cockpit and some different weapons, can become the centerpeice of your collection. I recommend it highly despite its shortfalls.

HTH-
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

No, no hard feelings here. I will definitely do my best to do justice to the model. However, what I'm sad at is the fact that I checked up at the Google rec.models.scale site too, and even there this poor kit got such a bashing by everybody .

Did make my spirits droop, but I'm determined to do it, and make a good job of whatever it is.....

BP.
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 02:45 PM UTC
What were the color schemes of the Desert Storm 'Hogs?
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 07:59 PM UTC
John-

All A-10s during the time period were painted in the Europe I scheme, which cosnsists of FS34092 (Europe I Green), FS34102 (Medium Green), and FS36081 (Europe I Dark Gray).

Prior to shipping out to the Middle East, there were two aircraft painted in the experimental 'Peanut' and 'Flipper' schemes (same pattern as Europe I, but with shades of tan/brown for thePeanut scheme, and grays for the Flipper scheme), but these were never used operationally.

According to my references, there was one OA-10 squadron which painted their aircraft overall FS36118, but I don't know whether this squadron went to the sandbox, or stayed stateside. All A-10s have since been repainted in the two color Ghost Gray scheme, which started to phase in after the end of the Gulf War.

Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:14 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Steve!

I'm a Lieutenant! Woohoo!!!
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thanks to all I think maybe the Mongram or trumpter kit . I could not find this post I know I posted it but for the love of me I could not find it to reply. But as I said maybe the seat detail but not all that feather stuff and addons. I think I will see if I can get it today or order it. And I still think this is one bad dude wonder if anymore updates are planned for it in the future. And of cause as I have not built an airplane in 30 years!!
thanks again (:-)

Up date I think the Trumpter is the winner.

Another update at 86.00 for the kit maybe christmas Goosh
BlueBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 05:42 PM UTC
No one has said anything about the Hasegawa 1/72 A-10A and OA-10A. Besides the reputation that comes with the name, anyone have any experience with either one of them?
lambertjr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hasegawas A-10 is excellent!!!!!!!!
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC
The Hasegawa A-10 isn't bad, but believe it or not, Italeri's 1/72 A-10 is the most accurate, state of the art kit of the A-10 available in 1/72. Definitely one of the best kits in the Italeri line!

HTH-
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 12:51 AM UTC
I have seen the Trumpeter kit. It is awesome. Have given alot of thought to building this one as well. (But too attached to Navy a/c). I did the Tamiya kit a few years ago and have to recommend the Monogram in 1/48. Better kit and alittle more detail. Hey, but what do I know, if it don't have a tail hook, I can't build it LOL
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen the Trumpeter kit. It is awesome. Have given alot of thought to building this one as well. (But too attached to Navy a/c). I did the Tamiya kit a few years ago and have to recommend the Monogram in 1/48. Better kit and alittle more detail. Hey, but what do I know, if it don't have a tail hook, I can't build it LOL

Make a ficticious naval or USMC variant. Prior to the Gulf War, Congress decided to transfer the A-10s to the Army and Marines in place of the Mohawk and Bronco respectively. Of course, the Gulf War made the A-10 "sexy" and pertinent again, so the USAF decided to keep them.

I plan on doing either my 1/32 Trumpeter one or 1/48 Monogram one in ficticious US Army markings, painting it to look more like an Army helicopter (dark helo drab with plain black "United States Army" markings on the side).
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hi , A-10 models in 1:72 scale - Italeri , Revell ( I think their are the best)- there is many update sets for this models , from Eduard and Aires company , in 1:48 I didn't done any , but in 1:32 I have Trumpeter Hog - is realy ... like everyone says Most Beautifull model in this scale . My version is NAW-10 I get Verlinden Cocpit and Gun bay sets and also one of Polish company had GAU-10 30 mm gun for A-10 in 1:32 ( I don't remember the name of company) but it's very good job - Photo-etched parts with 7 Metal Barells -it's beter than Verlinden set . When I start this model I send a picture .

Best Regards
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
Tomcat-

Is there any way you could find out who manufactures the GAU-8 gun in Poland? I'd be interested in seeing this set. Then again, i'd also like to see Aires finally release their GAU-8 in 1/48 so I can finish my Monogram Hog......
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
HI ,
Afcourse is GAU - 8 , sorry for My mistake - not GAU-10 .
Yes Steve I see who produced this Gun , or I take picture of My set and put it on our Talks.

Semper Fi
 _GOTOTOP