Hosted by Rowan Baylis
WWII German Glider
steve-o
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:12 AM UTC

Does anyone know where I can get a German Glider? preferably a 1:32 or 1:35 scale?? I saw this book, and wanted to try and do a dio that looks like the cover! Does anyone make these, ro would I have to scratch build it?

thanks for your seggestions!

Steve

crossbow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,387 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
AFAIK, there is none. So it will be scratchbuilding all the way.

I also once had the plan of doing this, but it was very hard to get any good reference plans or
even dimensions. Now I haven't got the time...

Kris
steve-o
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
Kris,

That's kind of what I figured...did you find any reasonable references that I could use as a good starting point?

And...I see you are from Belgium. Were you going to make it as part of the assult on Eben Emal? My Grandmother lived in Mechelen and Brussels during WWII, so I am very interested in anything related to Belgium and WWII.

thanks for the feed back!

Steve
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
I did a search on the Squardron website they have BV40 Armored Glider 1/48 $19.95 used by the Germans not the scale you want but there are several sets 1/48 scale figures you could use with it.
crossbow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,387 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

did you find any reasonable references that I could use as a good starting point?

Not on the net and there aren't much books around either...

Quoted Text

And...I see you are from Belgium. Were you going to make it as part of the assult on Eben Emal?

That was indeed the idea, but scratching a glider...

Quoted Text

My Grandmother lived in Mechelen and Brussels during WWII, so I am very interested in anything related to Belgium and WWII.

Let me guess... she's a war bride.
My aunt also. She married an air force bomber navigator and moved to the states, where she still lives (I think she's 83 or so). I visited her a couple of times.

Kris

p.s.: perhaps this is also interesting:

http://www.10may1940.org/forumeng/index.php

scroll down for the english part
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 08:57 PM UTC
Huma-Modell of Germany make a DFS230 in 1/72 scale but that is the only injection moulded plastic kit that I am aware of.

It might be possible to scale it up to 1/32 or 1/35 but I don't know how much interior detail is included - a search of some websites concerned with the Fallschirmjaeger might prove fruitful.

Another option might be to just build a portion of the glider, which would fit well in a vignette and not take up too much space.
 _GOTOTOP