_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Model of the Month, March.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
My entry for March.
Tamiya 1/48 F4F Wildcat.
OOB with Antenna wire and seat belts added.
Painted with Xtracolour enamels.
Decals by Super Scale.
Cockpit floor cut out and prop pin made shorter.

Mal
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
Great looking kit Mal... can you give a breif description of how you did the panel lines?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC
I'll do better than that Nate, I'll write an article. There ya go: Black Gold Washes-Oil Washes That is.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC
OK guys, to tidy things up and to get back on track we are going to skip February's MoM and go with March's. because of the lateness I am extending the entry date untill the 20th. Also with skipping Feb any entry from there (entries not nominations) will be elligable for here. As I have now 2 entries then for this month only 2 entries per member is allowed. We may extend multiple entries if enough models aren't entered each month (until I run out of models to enter )
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
My second entry then:
Hasegawa's Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb, representing a machine of 401 squadron RCAF, "Corps of Frontiersmen" (badge under windscreen) July 1943, The model is painted with Colourcoats enamel paint and the markings are from the kit except the codes which were taken from a Superscale sheet. Cannon barrels were replaced with stainless tube, which was heat treated to get the colouring.

Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi Mal

And to continue the tydying process, here are OllieC-FWOL's entries - both 1/48 scale:

The Arii P-47

and Hasegawa Typhoon

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 11:29 AM UTC
HI guys. Nice models there. Here is my JU87 Stuka in 1/48 scale. It's from Hasegawa with photo-etch cockpit parts from Eduard. The decals are from Aeromasters Stuka bombers Part 2. It was painted using ModelMaster paints. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC

Well i guess i will join the fun and enter my little 1/72 scale me262 night fighter did this about ten years ago, i am not even shore of the maker. How do i post it in the aircraft of the month.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well i guess i will join the fun and enter my little 1/72 scale me262 night fighter did this about ten years ago, i am not even shore of the maker. How do i post it in the aircraft of the month.

Hi RV

You just have... entering is as simple as that!

It's great to have you aboard

Rowan
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:46 PM UTC
As a "new guy," I might as well join in myself.

This is my favorite kit to build, Trimaster's 1/48 Me 262A-1a. The wheel wells, gunbay, and landing gear are wired and plumbed. I used the kit decals for the aircraft on display at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum. The camo is freehand, using Model Master enamels.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi Bill

Another stunner! I was going to sugest you enter with the '234 or Hurricane, so it's great to have you beat me to it!

All the best

Rowan
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:20 AM UTC
Well I am blown away by the entries up to this point. They all look awesome! I hope we get more and more great stuff like this. It is good to see all of these amazing builds being put up. I know that it will motivate me to try to bring my level of building up.

Anyway here is my Tamiya 1/48 p-51D. It has True Details cockpit and wheels, an instrument panel I stole from an Eduard PE Zoom set, and superscale decals for Ridge Runner III. It was my first NMF (I used SNJ and their powder). I built it for a friend's birthday and was playing around with making a grassy field base for photographing at that time. Now I think the grassy field looks very unrealistic and out of place...oh well live and learn.

The pics:

PS: A quick question that I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for: After doing this mustang, I picked up another one with the plans of doing it in raf colors. I think for the raf mustangs they put a cover? over the panel of holes? toward the front of the plane (I'm sorry I don't know the vocabulary for any of it). I was wondering does anyone have any pictures of this detail and or suggestions on how to accomplish it on my model. A PM would be great. Sorry if it's not appropriate to ask it here.

Hope all is well.
Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
Some excellent entries, keep 'em coming guys.
Mal
I think I should take one of mine out, what do you think?
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:59 AM UTC
I know that i will not win because all teh other entries are amazing, but there is no harm in entering.

It is Tamiya's Fw-190 D-9 in 1/48. Completly OOB ('cept for ariel wire). Painted in Hannants (gloss) acryllics. This was the first model that i have done using my airbrush (badger 200).
Hopefully, one day, i will get as good as you guys! :-)

P.S I am planning on getting the TriMaster Me-262, but i can only find then on E-Bay, is there a shop in the UK that sells them? NOT ones reboxed by Dragon, i want the real thing, etched steel and all.

cheers

Philip
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:19 PM UTC
Well guys I dicided to participate. It´s a great idea this stuff of the Model of the Month. It´s not a matter of winning, it´s good to suport a great idea and it´s motivating.
Here´s my entry.
Spitfire Mk Vb
Hasegawa 1/48
OOB build with added seat belts and stainless steel needles for the cannons.
Painted wit Model Master Enamels and Mate Coat.
Decals of the kit and from a Tamiya Mk Vb of the spare box.

Regards.

5thMech
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
Good show, Holdfast! I like your Wildcat and your Spit looks equally fine.

Beautiful job on the Ju87, Wingman. Your ground cover technique is equally fine. The worn out grass between the Stuka's spats looks like the real McCoy (or a patch of my lawn after a summer without rain). Nicely done, sir.

Pixilater, your Swallow looks awesome. Great paint job top and bottom. Decals look like they've been painted on. Where in Massachusetts do you live? I'm in North Attleboro.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Leon
PS: A quick question that I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for: After doing this mustang, I picked up another one with the plans of doing it in raf colors. I think for the raf mustangs they put a cover? over the panel of holes? toward the front of the plane (I'm sorry I don't know the vocabulary for any of it). I was wondering does anyone have any pictures of this detail and or suggestions on how to accomplish it on my model. A PM would be great. Sorry if it's not appropriate to ask it here.

great build, the cockpit looks great in that thing excellent detail in there.

I believe your talking about the air intake plate (?) so the engine can breathe, it was a common modification bepending on conditions, dust and such. anyway it was just a solid aluminum plate that replaces the one with holes in it.

hope this helps
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know that i will not win because all teh other entries are amazing, but there is no harm in entering.

Well done Philip, I am considering a ribbon (or prize) for the youngest entrant in the year, so yo might win something It truly is not about winning, it is about getting more pics on the forum and into the gallery. I hope that with you, a 12 year old and new to this hobby, entering it will encourage more to do likewise.

I will be adding more pics to my FW 190D-9 online build over the week end. I might even have it ready for painting before the weekend is out. I have posted some pics but I have been having trouble getting some decent ones so I have been having to wait for good light so I'm a bit behind where I might have been. I think I might have discovered why your canopy won't sit down, I'll explain in the build.
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bender:
I believe your talking about the air intake plate (?) so the engine can breathe, it was a common modification bepending on conditions, dust and such. anyway it was just a solid aluminum plate that replaces the one with holes in it.

hope this helps

Thanks Bender. Now with a possible name of the thing I may be able to find a good picture or something. Thanks again. I really appreciate it!!
Leon
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hi all

Thanks to Mal opening up the rules, I've taken some fresh pics of the Albatross D.Va which I built for the Age of Aces campaign a while back. It's Eduard's 1/48 scale kit with some extra detail and Eagle Strike decals.

The subject is quite fitting with Easter coming up - the chick hatching comes from the pilot, Gerhard Hubrich's nickname.

All the best

Rowan
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 02:48 AM UTC
Wow Merlin, i love the weatherd paint on the fusalage sides!

Mal: Can't wait to see those pics of your Dora!

cheers

P)hilip
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:03 AM UTC
Thanks Philip

It's really thanks to Mal that I was able to enter at all... it still seems a bit naughty throwing in such an old build! Still, at least a WW1 model adds a bit of variety.

I've got a few builds kicking off, so I'll try to enter something a bit more up to date in future!

All the best

Rowan
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hi Merlin:

Your Albatros D Va looks realy incredible. It´s amazing.
I like very much the biplanes of WWI, I have the intention to build one someday but I´m afraid that their wings are very difficult. I´ll see.

Congrats.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 08:23 AM UTC
OK guys, as the gallery is down, or has been while Jim improves things, I am going to leave this open until the 25th March. This means that voting will be be for only 6 days so watch out for the poll thingy on the Aircraft focus page (set "Aircraft" as your focus and you won't miss it).
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Merlin:

Your Albatros D Va looks realy incredible. It´s amazing.
I like very much the biplanes of WWI, I have the intention to build one someday but I´m afraid that their wings are very difficult. I´ll see.

Congrats.

Thank you Carlos

I really appreciate your kind comments - but I'm the first to admit I'm a total beginner when it comes to WW1 stuff! If you REALLY want to see how it's done, check out what Jackflash builds...

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP