_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
My "Fly by Night" project
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:44 PM UTC
Here are some pics of my latest project, which I call "Fly by Night." I'm building three 1/48 Luftwaffe Nachtjagers. When I do my own "group build" like this, I work on the same areas of the aircraft at the same time. The cockpits were all painted, glosscoated, washed, dullcoated, and drybrushed together.

This is ProModeler's Ta 154 with Eduard photoetch and added wiring and hoses.

This is Trimaster's Me 262A-1a nightfighter, straight from the box.

And this is Dragon's Me 262B-1a/U1. The cockpit is dryfitted to the airframe so I could include the rear-seater's instrument panel.

Now that the cockpits are done except for wiring the backs of the Me 262's instrument panels, I can move on to the wheel wells and landing gear. These will be fully wired and plumbed.

Thanks for letting me share the project progress with you !
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC
Looks great! I think I've found my problem with my cockpits, it's not you doing them for me!!!!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC
Bill your cockpits look great..the way they should, "busy" Excellent work man, well done. What did you use for the straps,belts and buckles.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:20 AM UTC
Thank you Doug and Joe !

Doug - working on cockpits is one of my favorite parts of building. I use a subtle approach for washes and drybrushing. After the colors are done, I glosscoat with Future. I then use an enamel wash, mixing each color with black until I reach a shade that matches the shadows I see on the model under a light. After removing the excess wash and dullcoating, I drybrush. For this, I mix each color with Titanium white oil paint until I reach a shade that matches the highlights I see on the model under a light. I prefer this to using generic colors. The effect is more subtle, and looks more like shadows and highlights to me. I don't like to have things "pop out" at the viewer, since they don't on the real thing.

Joe - the belts are all photoetch. The Ta 154's are brass, and came from the Eduard set. The Me 262's are stainless steel, from the kits. The stainless steel is more difficult to work, as it's not as flexible as brass.

Thanks again !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
Again Bill excellant cockpits. I have, somewhere read abot the Luftwaffe colour coding of verious systems, do you have this information? What references do you use for your cockpits?
I have the Revell boxing of the Ta 154 but, until now, no references for it
Nice work, thanks for sharing.
Mal
Davester444
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Wow! That is amazing detail! Where did you get a brush that thin?
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thank you Mal and Dave !

Mal - I have the Verlinden Lock-On book for the Bf 109G-2, which has EXCELLENT color photos of "Black 6" when it was still flying. From that, I've learned that the fuel controls and gauges are yellow, Oxygen equipment is blue, and electrical cables are yellow and white. Things that need attention (throttles, gun-arming switches, emergency controls, etc.) are red.
Sadly, I have found no B&W or color pics of the Ta 154's cockpit. I'm just using my "best guesstimate."

Dave - the detail painting was done with a sharp #000 brush. I use a magnifying lamp that has a circular florescent light and a large magnifying lens.

Thanks again !
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
Thank you Mal and Dave !

Mal - I have the Verlinden Lock-On book for the Bf 109G-2, which has EXCELLENT color photos of "Black 6" when it was still flying. From that, I've learned that the fuel controls and gauges are yellow, Oxygen equipment is blue, and electrical cables are yellow and white. Things that need attention (throttles, gun-arming switches, emergency controls, etc.) are red.
Sadly, I have found no B&W or color pics of the Ta 154's cockpit. I'm just using my "best guesstimate."
This itte has some good references.
{url]http://www.luftarchiv.de/[/url]
Click "English Navigation" on the left. Select "Equipments" then "Instruments." there are pics of many Luftwaffe cockpits, some very rare.

Dave - the detail painting was done with a sharp #000 brush. I use a magnifying lamp that has a circular florescent light and a large magnifying lens.

Thanks again !
 _GOTOTOP