_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
My 1:48 Su-27 Flanker B
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maharashtra, India / भारत
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Its taken me months but its finally over. Thats my 1:48 Su-27 Flanker B. Its my 1st plastic model & I made LOTS of mistakes. I screwed up the paint job in many areas & broke 2 of the landing gear struts, but I found a workaround for those & covered it up pretty well. I also broke my canopy so badly that it was waaaay beyond repair. I contacted academy & they sent me 2 spare canopies free of charge within 2 weeks. I thought that was absolutely amazing customer service.
My next model is a 1:48 Su-30 (Su-27 UB Flanker C) that I will paint in the IAF paint scheme. I will start that soon.
Cheers & hope you like my pics,
WD.

fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi WildDog,
It takes a longtime that I don't "see" you on Armorama, this IAF SU-27 can explain your absent for a moment.
If it is your first built, you had done it better than my first kit : landing gear and canopy broken, wrong camo scheme painting...
Hope to see your next Su-30. Cheers.
Francois.

PS: How's about your airbrush that you'd posted many questions on Armorama?
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC
Nice job !

It looks a far sight better than my first model (which looked more like a blob of plastic and glue !). You chose a challenging color scheme and you did it well. Good job on the seams and alignment of the missiles.
Well done !
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
Great job on the camo and everything else. Don't worry about breaking the model multiple times, we all do it. I just consider mine "battle damaged." (My first real model inadvertantly got a dull coat to cover the decals over everything including the canopy!)

Otherwise, how was the kit?

Jeff
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 05:10 AM UTC
Good show, gotta love those big Flankers!

Calavera
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 06:18 AM UTC
Great job. Do not forget what you have learned with your first model and apply it to the second and you will se the difference. Good look with your Su-30.

Saludos,
Alejandro F.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
Months of fun, no doubt.
A very neat colour scheme, is it hand painted? Dispite the few misshaps it has turned out well, particularly for a first model. Can't have been the easiest one to pick for a first. You are off to a flying start. Looking forward to more
Mal
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maharashtra, India / भारत
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hey guys thanks a million for all the compliments. Was very touching. Yes I will not make the same mistakes on my Su-30. I will have to get that 100% perfect because its my favorite plane (actually 2nd fav but the Su-30MKI is not available in plastic model kits )....I airbrushed the whole thing, but the gray is the base coat primer gray.

I chose this paint scheme because my Su-30 is going to be the IAF 2 tone blue & having 2 blue Flankers wont look very nice. I think I am the 1st to use this scheme.

Anyway thanks to everyone for the compliments & the best help ever & for being so patient with me even when I asked the stupidest questions.
Cheers,
WD.
Angela
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:31 PM UTC
Hi wildog...and those who can help me with this,

What should be the proper color of the cockpit tub and the sheet cushions? Do you have a link to a pic on how its seatbelts are placed? Do you have a link which shows the cockpit of the aircraft, particularly the ejection seat? What I got from goggle is mostly the frontal detail.

The reason is that I'll be building Academy's 1/48th scale SU 27 as my entry for the Seeing Red campaign. I'm done with the sub-assemblies but I'm stuck on the cockpit.

By the way, your SU 27 is superb. Your handbrushing skills are very good;in fact, I thought the camouflage pattern of your aircraft was airbrushed!

Sir Wilddog, I think I can help you on how to "soften" up your camouflage pattern. I call the technique is called "dry filtering" and it uses oils.

Mix oil paints the color of your Flanker, and that is gray. It should be a bit lighter than the gray in your aircraft. With a chissel brush, drybrush the oil paint on the panels of your aircraft that are covered by the gray color. Mix another batch of very dark gray (almost black) and drybrush the panels that are touched by the black color. Finally, mix a medium gray and VERY LIGHTLY drybrush the demarkation lines of the gray and black.

This will soften the demarcations of the camo pattern as if it were airbrushed. I used this technique on my armor models.

HTH. And thank you in advance for the answers provided on my questions above.

Angela
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi wildog...and those who can help me with this,

What should be the proper color of the cockpit tub and the sheet cushions? Do you have a link to a pic on how its seatbelts are placed? Do you have a link which shows the cockpit of the aircraft, particularly the ejection seat? What I got from goggle is mostly the frontal detail.

The reason is that I'll be building Academy's 1/48th scale SU 27 as my entry for the Seeing Red campaign. I'm done with the sub-assemblies but I'm stuck on the cockpit.

By the way, your SU 27 is superb. Your handbrushing skills are very good;in fact, I thought the camouflage pattern of your aircraft was airbrushed!

Sir Wilddog, I think I can help you on how to "soften" up your camouflage pattern. I call the technique is called "dry filtering" and it uses oils.

Mix oil paints the color of your Flanker, and that is gray. It should be a bit lighter than the gray in your aircraft. With a chissel brush, drybrush the oil paint on the panels of your aircraft that are covered by the gray color. Mix another batch of very dark gray (almost black) and drybrush the panels that are touched by the black color. Finally, mix a medium gray and VERY LIGHTLY drybrush the demarkation lines of the gray and black.

This will soften the demarcations of the camo pattern as if it were airbrushed. I used this technique on my armor models.

HTH. And thank you in advance for the answers provided on my questions above.

Angela

Angela:
Use Testors Model Master Russian Interior Green from there Modern russian aircraft colors.
Todd
 _GOTOTOP