_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Trimaster Fw 190D-9 under construction
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 03:07 PM UTC
Here are some pics of another of my on-going builds, Trimaster's 1/48 Fw 190D-9. I usually have mulitple builds happening at the same time (hey, I gotta have SOMETHING to do while the glue or paint dries !). This is one of the seven currently on the bench.

The cockpit is from the box, with the exception of the belts. Trimaster usually includes PE belts in their kits, but this one curiously had none. The lap belts are Eduard, and the shoulder harnesses are from a DML kit.

The landing gear legs and retractors are white metal. I've added the hydraulic and electrical lines from fine wire and solder. The tailwheel is cast as a single piece, so I hollowed out the area below the yoke for a more realistic appearance.

This is what the bird looks like today, after glosscoating with Future. I almost can't wait to add the decals ! (Eagle Cals sheet #21) The RV bands on the rear fuselage were masked and painted.

In addition to this one and my three nightfighters, I also have a 1/48 MPM P-63 Kingcobra (being decalled), Classic Airframes Polikarpov I-153 (getting camo), and a Monogram C-47 (about ready to finish assembling the airframe). These will probably make an appearance here when finished. I'm disabled, so I have the "luxury" of being able to spend at least six hours a day at the bench.

Thanks for letting me share the progress with you !
ThorsHammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 03:40 PM UTC
I think the kit looks really great so far Bill! I especially love the detail of the cockpit, and I was suprised that you didn't use a detail set for it. I think I want to pick up one of Trimaster's kits
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 04:16 PM UTC
WOW! iam no FW fan, but that one sure caught my eye, the detail in cockpit and landing gear are great! fantastic is more like it! and hte painting issuberb!

Frank
stealth92
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
The FW 190 Is one of my favorite planes from WW2.
Great work!
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 05:00 PM UTC
Looking good Pix...looking VERY good! :-)
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 05:23 PM UTC
Thanks Jared, Francois, Gary, and Big Ton !

Jared - the Trimaster kits are not easy to find, as they went out of business in the early nineties. They occasionally appear on eBay. I found mine (8 Me 262s, 2 Fw 190D-9s) at Squadron and Great Models. The PE is stainless steel, which is more difficult to bend than brass. The kits also include white metal parts, along with brass tube and wire. My 262s were $30 each (STEAL !) and the 190s were $40.

Francois - the camo is freehand, with my trusty Badger 150.

Thanks again, all ! I'm glad you like it.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:50 AM UTC
Today was Dora's decal day !

The markings are from the BEAUTIFUL Eagle Cals sheet #21. They went on very well. THe spinner spiral still needs a couple more applications of Micro Sol, but I believe it will be tamed.

I really like these solid black crosses on the underside.

This is my favorite part of the sheet - data placards for the gear legs !

Thanks for letting me share my enthusiasm with you !
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hubba-hubba!

Nice job buddy!

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 08:17 AM UTC
Superb stuff Bill, keep sharing your enthusiasm
I currently have loads on the go too. I like the data placards, nice touch. My Tamiya FW190D-9 is coming on I will be, hopefully, posting pics later. It's a OOB build and I'm trying to give Philip (Procrazy) and anyone else who cares to listen, a few pointers. I'm looking forward to the painting.
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thank you Olivier and Mal !

I wish that placards were available in 1/48. I've tried painting them before, but the corners are not as sharp, and they're too small to mask. Another thing I'd like to see is the painted control labels found on almost every WW II aircraft cockpit pic I've seen. Stencils are printed, so why not these? I have a sharp #000 brush that I use to replicate them, but again, it's not as sharp as a decal. End of rant.

Thanks again !
 _GOTOTOP