Hosted by Rowan Baylis
He III w/V1 project
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC
I plan on building a Heinkel III H22, to this end I have picked up the old Airfix H20 and a Frog V1, the problem being, how does one attach to the other? I have a three view diagram but apart from a lead going from the missile to the aircraft, there doesn't appear to be any visible method of holding it in place.

It isn't going to be a super detailed model as my skills don't run to it but if I can knock soemthing up out of card and strip that lookd the part this will suffice.

Comments and advice gratefully received.
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
Thanks for that link, Tom.

It's a photo I've seen before (I think the colour profile I have is of this partcular a/c going by the camoudlage scheme) but I have to admit, it never occurred to me to use the external bomb bracket (included in the Airfix kit). I'll have a fiddle about with it tonight and see if it all lines up.

The only other reference I have is somefootage (on a Playstation game, of all things) showing the V1 being air launched, unfortunately, the bomb rack cannot be seen.

Incidentally, if you have trouble finding the Hawk V1, Tamiya do a 1/48 scale model of one, complete with ground handling trolley and full stencilling - I think it is still in their catalogue. It's available either on its own (ITEM 61052) or with their Gloster Meteor F1 (ITEM 61065) .
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC
Having said that, I think Revell did the whole package as a kit some years back, though I don't know whether it's currently available...
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 08:04 PM UTC
I don't remember this kit at all? Though I did pick up an Italeri Ju88/Bf109 Mistel a while back (though I plan on putting an FW 190 on instead).

Looking at my book last night and lining the V1 up to match the drawings, i'm not sure that the bomb racks can be used, as the missile sits further back in relation to them. I'm wondering if it was such a small release device that it can't be seen, (possibly like those small hooks seen on Rustsaetze racks) in which case I may just drill some holes and attach it with wire.

So far I've assembled the Heinkel wings (blanked off the radiators with styrene), the next step being to sand all those blasted rivets off and scribe in panel lines (a new discipline, that I'm still getting to grips with).

While the wings were drying, I dug out my Revell FW200 C-4 Condor (the old moulding, not that nice new one they did a few years back) and started having a go at prettifying it. So far, one fuselage half has been given a good going over with an abrasive foam pad (don't know their proprietary name, but they are really useful) and in comparison with the rivet-encrusted other half, looks a lot better already. This will be one I keep coming back to, I think, as there is a lot of work to be done to get it looking neat and tidy. Still, it's all useful expererience and satisfying at the end.

Also waiting in the wings (if you pardon the pun) is an Airfix Do217 w/Me328 Mistel - I go through phases in my collecting and often acquire models with a theme.

Sorry to witter; just had a productive evening and wanted to tell someone...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:57 AM UTC
I think the old Hawk 1/48 scale V-1 is still kicking around in a Testors box. It was packaged with a Japanese Oka (or something like that). I think I have the main wings to one left.

Another old 1/48 scale V-1 that I recall is the AMT Meteor kit that came with a V-1. I've got that dinosaur somewhere.
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 04:18 AM UTC
I see.... I was thinking about the external bomb racks and not the torpedo racks, which are in a different location. D'oh!

Thanks for the link, this will make the job a lot easier.

Good luck with yours, by the way.

Regards.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having said that, I think Revell did the whole package as a kit some years back, though I don't know whether it's currently available...

Hi there

I think this is the one you mean...

As for kitbashing... the current Revell release isn't actually the correct version to carry a V-1 - it's an earlier 'H - so it'll need a fair bit of mdification..., you'll have to scrap the open dorsal gun position and add a turret - plus other changes.

If you can find the original Revell kit, I've read that the V-1 included is a lot more accurate than Tamiya's version.

Let us know how you get on

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

a spherical shaped turret (like on a Lockheed Hudson)

Hi Tom

Are you sure? I'd love to see that one - it'd make an awesome conversion - unlike any German turret I've ever seen! The Boulton-Paul turret must take the award for the most un-aerodynamic ever fitted...

A bomb rack like on a Bf 109? You've lost me there - if you mean an ETC rack, they were completely different in size and shape.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the Revell Heinkel was a very poor release in the first place

I don't think anyone's saying that - the link you give says:

"The kit itself, in return, is one of the best aircraft models available. Nice recessed panel lines, superb cockpit details, clear and well designed transparencies, excellent crew figures, well-printed decals (including useable seatbelts) and a decent V-1… if it wasn’t for the notorious “Revell parts-warping”, it would be of outright AM or Tamiya class."

Well, the good news is "notorious" or not, Pierre must have been unlucky, because I've just checked my H-22 and it's all looking decidedly straight and true.

Darn it! You guys are making me want to build the b*gger!

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP